misfire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Like myself, I expect Rick has handloaded enough ammo to fill a barge... :wink:

Don't understand the fretting over this issue. Start with a clean pocket with unobstructed flash hole, and seat primer to bottom of pocket. If there is a problem from there on, it is with the firing pin itself or the spring that powers it! :wink:

(Or the primer itself due to inadvertantly getting handled with oily fingers etc...)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you want to prevent 'misfire', which is the point of this thread, make sure your primers are seated all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket. The measurement from flush might be interesting to some but it is irrelevant because each case/primer brand combination is different. Just like OAL is different with each case/bullet combination. :D

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Started reloading on a RCBS jr. press. Didn't have anything fancy to prime with. Had to use the tube and ram on the press. Easy to bottom out primers using that. Over 30 years of reloading , can count the misfires on one hand ...bottom out the primers ....easy as that , no need to make it difficult ...or measure ...bottom them out. Ahhh , an echo .... :lol:

regards , brushunter

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
Dang that echo! :shock:

Hi,

Startin' to sound a little like a deep cave, isn't it? ;)

Yes, I HAVE measured primer seating depth a time or two. Out of curiosity. And, yes, I clean my primer pockets each time, then trust my equipment isn't wearing fast enough to get worried about it.

A small straight edge across the head will verify the primer's below the surface if in doubt, a practiced hand will verify the same "feel" from one case to the next, and a satisfying "BANG" each time the hammer falls will verify installing primers "properly" isn't rocket science...

Beyond that, one's free to use one's time as desired when it comes to additional prep and QC. As I've said before, there are several ways around this barn.

Rick C

cyberscout19

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I reset the primers deeper and at every trigger pull they go boom. Twice over. Thanks again everyone. Now for more practice time cuz I sure need it.:)

Bucks Owin

Hunter
cyberscout19 said:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I reset the primers deeper and at every trigger pull they go boom. Twice over. Thanks again everyone. Now for more practice time cuz I sure need it.:)

Bottom out...go bang! 8)

Glad you're back in business... :wink: