Mini-14 for Alaska carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
I was watching a recent episode of Yukon Men on TV and noticed that one of the cast, while roaming about in the Alaska bush was carrying a Mini-14 as his "protection" weapon. Can't really say why but, I was impressed. :)

Bob

wwb

Hunter
Expecting reality out of a "reality" show? Watched about 15 minutes of it once... overly dramatic, bad acting, and a stupid script.

Aside from that, if you're going to carry a long gun, at least carry a real one. Bear spray would be a better idea than a Mini 14.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well you can tell black bear territory from brown by the scat.
Black bear has berry skins, insect chitin, small animal bones and smells like sh**.
Brown bear has berry skins, insect chitin, bells and smells like bear spray.

pisgah

Buckeye
Well, I agree about the awfulness of the show -- but I have met Alaskan Natives who use nothing but a .223, and sort of snicker at those of us who feel more comfortable with something more. I can't help but reflect that there are those of us who think we know something and those of us who actually do know something, and it's hard to say who is whom in this case. I've only been briefly exposed to situations where a firearm for bear protection was considered prudent, while these guys live it every day.

Of course, I also met a guy who always carried his .458 Win. to the outhouse...

wwb

Hunter
pisgah said:
Well, I agree about the awfulness of the show -- but I have met Alaskan Natives who use nothing but a .223, and sort of snicker at those of us who feel more comfortable with something more.........

True, but there's a difference between a "hunting" rifle and a "defensive" rifle. And the native Alaskans are smart enough to not get caught by surprise and need the "defensive" rifle.

When that bear is 20 yards away and closing fast, a .223 is not much better than a pointy stick.

pisgah

Buckeye
wwb said:
And the native Alaskans are smart enough to not get caught by surprise and need the "defensive" rifle.

And there's the real answer to bear defense. Regardless of the gun, if you don't do this, your odds go way down...

groberts

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I'll agree that a .223 round, especially in full metal jacket, might just tick off a Grizzly.... then again 20 or 25 might just make him change directions....
I read a story where a kid killed a grizzly with a 22. The bear got up on his hind legs, just like grizzlies do, and when he roared the kid shot him in the mouth. Right into the brain.
A 223 will work just fine if you know how to shoot. The problem is most people think 223s are only for ARs and are meant to be shot dozens of times as fast as possible.

wwb

Hunter
groberts said:
I read a story where a kid killed a grizzly with a 22. The bear got up on his hind legs, just like grizzlies do, and when he roared the kid shot him in the mouth. Right into the brain.
A 223 will work just fine if you know how to shoot. The problem is most people think 223s are only for ARs and are meant to be shot dozens of times as fast as possible.

I would take that story with a large grain of salt.... first, if the bear is on his hind legs, he ain't coming after you (yet) - he's just trying to get a better look to decide what you are, and if he's far enough that he hasn't decided what you are, he's too far to shoot with a .22. Second, unless you're a world-class 3-gun shooter or something similar, that shot is nothing more than pure dumb luck.

I shoot my .223 very slowly and deliberately - it's not an AR, it's a bull-barreled Savage bolt action. Best shot so far is a coyote at 440 yards across a square surveyed 40 acre field - woodline to woodline.

groberts

Single-Sixer
wwb said:
groberts said:

I would take that story with a large grain of salt.... first, if the bear is on his hind legs, he ain't coming after you (yet) - he's just trying to get a better look to decide what you are, and if he's far enough that he hasn't decided what you are, he's too far to shoot with a .22. Second, unless you're a world-class 3-gun shooter or something similar, that shot is nothing more than pure dumb luck.

I shoot my .223 very slowly and deliberately - it's not an AR, it's a bull-barreled Savage bolt action. Best shot so far is a coyote at 440 yards across a square surveyed 40 acre field - woodline to woodline.
Really, when you learn to shoot a single shot 22 you learn to be good at it. I regularly would hit the bottom of a coffee can (about 6 inches in diameter) at over 100 yards with mine and the bear was only 30 feet from him. I would also shoot squirrels, rattlesnakes and even quail with it. Plus a whole bunch of tin cans at 50 feet.

wunbe

Buckeye
Mini 14 might slow down a two legged predator and Alaska has its share of them but even Mini 30 would have no place on my list of bear stoppers.

A Marlin 45-70 however...

wunbe

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The Inuit (aka Eskimos) used the .222 Remington for almost all of their hunting because everything they bought had to be shipped in by air and shipping costs per pound were huge. So, the .222, which used lighter bullets and powder charges, was attractive for cost reasons. Then too, they mostly hunted from a Kayak so they could shoot a bear on land or ice and paddle away until the bear succumbed to the wound. They never had to stop a charge.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Oh boy, another discussion on adequate brown bear cartridges & weapons! Can't wait... ;)

Just watch TV and do what they do. What could go wrong?

marko

Bearcat
Carry bear spray. It works really well and you don't have to be precise.

Reality is an oxymoron when it comes to those TV shows.

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
Amazing. I made the OP simply stating I saw a guy carrying a Mini-14 in Alaska and it gets turned into a bear thread. SMH.

Bob

DGW1949

Hunter
Voyager28 said:
Amazing. I made the OP simply stating I saw a guy carrying a Mini-14 in Alaska and it gets turned into a bear thread. SMH.

Bob

I hear ya Bob.
But hey, it could have been worse. It could have just as easily turned into a "my cheap AR shoots 1/2" groups with Russian ammo" thread. :lol: .

DGW

wwb

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
I hear ya Bob.
But hey, it could have been worse. It could have just as easily turned into a "my cheap AR shoots 1/2" groups with Russian ammo" thread. :lol: .

DGW

You want worse ? My early pencil-barrelled Mini shoots 1/2 MOA groups.....

DGW1949

Hunter
wwb said:
DGW1949 said:
I hear ya Bob.

DGW

You want worse ? My early pencil-barrelled Mini shoots 1/2 MOA groups.....

Well, that certainly sounds like a good bear-gun to me.....just let it charge and put a bullet right through each eye socket, huh?

DGW

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
My uncle owned a hunting lodge in AK back in the '50's and he talked about how the natives would use .22s for polar bear. I assume he meant .222. The way he reported it the natives would let the dogs worry the bear and get it up on the hind legs, then shoot for the throat. I think I'd prefer my .45-70.