Matching 9mm cylinder to Original Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chilcotin

Bearcat
Need some advice, a friend just gave me a 9mm cylinder from a blackhawk in early 90's and I have a Vaquero .357 not new vaquero. What do I need to check and do to see if this will fit my vaquero. Have never tried to do this before.
Any help and info will be appreciated.

DGW1949

Hunter
Comparing the AOL of the cylinder against the AOL of the original (357) Cyl is a good start.

If the new one actualy fits into the gun:
Barrel to Cyl gap.
Cylinder endshake.
Timing.

If it doesn't fit into the gun:
What's the hold up?.....the cyl body or the bushing?

DGW

Hondo44

Hawkeye
In 30 years I have never installed one or heard of one that did not function and "time" correctly. They are assembly line produced to a common plus or minus tolerance. The only important issue as DGW posted, is that it has enough overall length for your frame. If too long you can dress it down to fit. If you have a gap like shown at the bottom arrow, the cyl. will rub on the end of the barrel at the top arrow and move back and forth in the gun called "cylinder end shake" in gunsmith terms. See the photo below:
cylgapRSSnear.jpg

Have you tried it in the frame? If longer, the front of the cyl at the bottom arrow just needs stoning until it fits, usually under .005", that's not a lot. To have a gunsmith do it would be a minimal charge if you're more comfortable doing it that way.

chilcotin

Bearcat
Thanks guys for info, will get to check things out this weekend and see if it will work with my vaquero. Excited to try this, have not had a convertible .357/9mm before this. Have been 44 mag, 41 mag and 45 colt shooter until this 357 Vaquero that a guy wanted to let go of at a really, really great price. Started shooting a super blackhawk 44 mag in 1963 and have added 41's and 45's over the years. Being on the forum has stretched my thinking about doing some things with Rugers I had believed would be neat. When I can find some one more tech savy than I am, I will post some photos. Thanks again for info on this.

chilcotin

Bearcat
Bad luck with 9 mm cylinder to short in overall length, it fit but rubbing barrel and space way to much cylinder end shake.
But great news in the end, called friend who gave me cylinder and ask him if he wanted it back and he said no he had sold the
gun a long time ago. I ask him if he remembered who he sold it too, yes he did and I happened to know the individual, so I called him today and he wants to sell the blackhawk with "sandbar stag grips", will take $300 for it. Grabed cash met him at local truck stop and am now proud owner of blackhawk convertiable mfg in 1977 excellent condition. Lucky, Lucky, Lucky with new one to stroke and admire. Thanks guys for all your info and advice.