Lyman #55 baffle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I recently got a baffle from Lyman for my old #55 powder measure. I'm curious what the general opinion is regarding the placement of that baffle in the tube i.e. do most place it at the bottom of the tube, the middle, the upper portion....? Any rationale for your 'position" ?THANKS, J.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I place mine in the middle and I don't remember why I started putting it there, but it works fine.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The rationale for 'in the middle' might be to keep the powder pressure more even from full to low. Problem with this is if the powder gets below the baffle it is doing nothing.

The rationale for 'near the bottom' might be to keep the pressure the same no matter what the fill level is, kinda like a regulator.

A gas regulator put in a pipe adjusts the flow better if put near the appliance. Of course a baffle isn't a regulator.

Chief 101

Hunter
when I need a baffle I use a funnel with a long neck that keeps the powder level at the lower 1/3rd of the fill level.
I think any setting will work as long as you keep the measure filled somewhat above the baffle....

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks everyone......... I've been keeping it at the bottom and it seems to be helping with consistency of charges.... I guess it's no big deal since I've been working the old #55 for probably 40 years without a baffle... and NOW, I'm becoming 'precise' all of a sudden.. :)))
J.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I haven't used the #55 but have been using baffled bottles for shotshell reloading for at least 30 years. Those baffles are at the bottom, so I suppose that placement should work for the powder measure as well. Jimbo's point about not running out of powder below the baffle isn't lost this way, either.

Rick C

Latest posts