Lube for firing pin?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
I am replacing the broken firing pin in an old Beretta I was given. While the gun was relatively clean, I was surprised to find the broken pin well-lubed when I removed it.

When the new one comes, do I just lube it with gun oil? Or should I use some kind of grease? (Grease sounds too viscous it seems, but i figured I'd check).

Also, the photo of the part I ordered did not appear to be blued. Should/must I blue it before putting it back in?

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
I would not "lube" it per se, I would wipe it down. NO grease, it will thicken overtime and "gum" things up. You do not need to blue it, the replacement is likely SS.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Is this Beretta a 92/96 series?

If so, the firing pin is actually comprised of two parts. If not, disregard. ;)

Like packinheat said, no lube. It'll attract powder residue and whatnot and gum up the works.

This lube you speak of on the original firing pin may well be the cause of its demise. Oil or greece can actually act like the hydraulic oil in your cars shock absorbers. it slows the firing pin down and may cause misfire. This could be the cause of the broken pin.

Lubing a firing pin more than a wipe down will cause more problems. collection of dust and dirt, etc.

just keep it "Clean" and dry from excess oil and grease.

DGW1949

Hunter
Crossroads Shooter said:
This lube you speak of on the original firing pin may well be the cause of its demise. Oil or greece can actually act like the hydraulic oil in your cars shock absorbers. it slows the firing pin down and may cause misfire. This could be the cause of the broken pin.

Lubing a firing pin more than a wipe down will cause more problems. collection of dust and dirt, etc.

just keep it "Clean" and dry from excess oil and grease.

Yeah, that's what I do with mine.
A touch of oil on a patch, just enough to give the pin a bit of shine so's it don't rust if the gun don't get shot for a while.

DGW

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Thanks folks. Got the new pin in the mail. Ready to try to install it. The solid pin that holds the firing pin in place as well as the ejector was in very tight. It was hard to push up and out, and will probably be harder to put back in place. I actually didn't even remove it all the way, just enough to get the ejector out. I'm taking pics, and will post.

FYI - this is for a model 100, similar to a model 70. The firing pin was for a model 70 and is identical.

Latest posts