Long slides in the SR series?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the SR lonslides. The SR40ls to be specific.

Think it'll ever happen?

Your thoughts please.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The "Long Slide" Glocks and M&P's are designed to specifically to just fit in the IDPA "box" while giving the longest possible sight radius. Until a pistol is used a lot in competition, a longer barrel and slide isn't likely to be introduced.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
The "Long Slide" Glocks and M&P's are designed to specifically to just fit in the IDPA "box" while giving the longest possible sight radius. Until a pistol is used a lot in competition, a longer barrel and slide isn't likely to be introduced.

Seems to me putting a longslide out would get Ruger into the competetive circles, broaden the customer base, improve recognition and demonstrate the legitimacy of the SR line. Many do not understand the level of pistol Ruger is producing.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I've been reading a lot about .45 acp ballistics and what is lost from the recent series of compact .45's that have hit the market in terms of FPS of the rounds through shorter barrels. I know all calibers suffer from a shorter the barrel, but if they only did one long slide, I'd want it to be the .45 acp.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
It's a cart and horse situation. There aren't action shooting variations of SR series guns because they are commonly used in those games. OR perhaps Ruger has looked at the market segment , and the Glock , S&W , and Springfield entries have substantially met the demand.

And to make myself feel old , the short bbl .45acp velocity thing is anything but recent. It didn't take long in the era of JHP ammo for the bullets to be tweaked to work well from Commanders. But the big issue came up about a week after the introduction of the Officers . For the seriously old school still clinging to 230fmj as defensive ammo , it made little difference in performance. Others rationalized that an unexpanded .45 was already the size of an expanded 9mm or .38 .
In general the 185 JHP +P has fallen from trendy status , but it would deal best with performance fron short bbls , albeit at cost of recoil and muzzle blast.

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
One of the advantages enjoyed by the XDs, CZs, M&Ps, and Glocks in competition circles, is the availability of aftermarket parts. There just aren't as many producing those parts for Rugers. galloway sells the Ghost line as well as some of their own products but there isn't much more than that.

And yes, very much a "cart and horse/chicken and egg" scenario. Not too many modifications available because there isn't a long slide base for modification. I'd love to see it though. I think Ruger quality is very under-appreciated.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Biggfoot44 said:
It's a cart and horse situation. There aren't action shooting variations of SR series guns because they are commonly used in those games. OR perhaps Ruger has looked at the market segment , and the Glock , S&W , and Springfield entries have substantially met the demand.

And to make myself feel old , the short bbl .45acp velocity thing is anything but recent. It didn't take long in the era of JHP ammo for the bullets to be tweaked to work well from Commanders. But the big issue came up about a week after the introduction of the Officers . For the seriously old school still clinging to 230fmj as defensive ammo , it made little difference in performance. Others rationalized that an unexpanded .45 was already the size of an expanded 9mm or .38 .
In general the 185 JHP +P has fallen from trendy status , but it would deal best with performance fron short bbls , albeit at cost of recoil and muzzle blast.

Ah I didn't know it was an old topic, I'm kinda recently into this. I think the article I was reading concentrated on the new XPS? is it? Something like that from springfield. I was reading because I was thinking about picking one up. But if the way to go is the 185g ammo, I'm thinking I might as well stick with my .40s&w since I shoot 180 grain ammo exclusively anyway. I'm not sure what if anything I'd gain with the .45acp in 185 grain.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Not used in competition, lack of aftermarket parts / accessories, etc. All possible symptoms of Ruger being a late bloomer in the striker fires pistol market. Proactively bringing out the longslide model could help make up lost ground due to the late entry into the market.

It could change the impression of the SR's from a "me too" gun to a serious contender in the LE and military markets.

Latest posts