Lock ring screw head stripped...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

skip

Single-Sixer
on my RCBS die anyone have a solution or source for those little brass screws or a complete ring...any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated....thnx

Cholo

Staff member
Dillon sells the ring with no screw, and a small wrench to tighten it with. I'm going to change all my RCBS die rings to the Dillons. I never did trust the RCBS set screws.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, you can call RCBS & I bet they replace it easily.
If not, I bet I have several spares I could let go easily. (I recently bought a bunch of stuff from an estate. The guy was a gun guy!)

Tellico

Buckeye
When you get a new screw you might try a #6 lead shotshell pellet in the hole first. It will hold very well without the need to over tighten. Got them in all mine. Just saying.
Fred

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Forster rings are a great substitute--never did like the set screw arrangement used by RCBS and a few others, though the lead shot idea Fred mentions is tried and true. The newer Hornady Sure-Loc rings are patterned after the Forsters, too, and may be ever so slightly less expensive.

And, for the adventurous, a set of Lee's O-ring lock rings is cheap enough for an experiment. It's almost a guarantee you'll absolutely love 'em (as I do), or hate 'em! There's not much middle ground there.

Rick C

6gun

Hunter
As already said RCBS will replace the lock ring at no charge if you call or email them, peronally I toss all those cheap black lock rings soon as I open the box of new dies, they damage the die threads I refuse to use them their junk, I replace them with the good old split ring type from lyman, Forster split rings are just as good also.

Both RCBS and Lyman dies use to come with the spit rings back in the 80's don't know why they went to the cheap crappy rings, profit over quailty most likely.

skip

Single-Sixer
thnx for all the great info....I'll call RCBS
I have a chance to bear bait a brown bear this Spring...first time in this area..the brown bear have been wrecking havoc on the black bear baiting for a few years now...I'm gearing up..getting dialed in...

BCB

Bearcat
skip said:
on my RCBS die anyone have a solution or source for those little brass screws or a complete ring...any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated....thnx

A good auto parts store will have them...

I get rid of the brass set screws and use brass machine screws--slotted...

Sometimes you have to grind the head a bit smaller to get die to screw in without the screw hitting the press...

Easy to tighten the lock ring--a slotted screw driver beats those stupid allen set screws hands down...

Good-luck...BCB

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
As said I'm sure rcbs would send you a whole bag of brass screws at no charge.
I went to the local hardware & bought a bunch of brass screws that fit. I used them for awhile but have since replace the rcbs rings with Hornady rings.
Midway had them on sale for a long time, they still might?

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Just changed out the RCBS ring with a Hornady ring will buy hornady dies instead of Rcbs as when possible.bi see no reason to purchase something that needs to be modified as soon as I use it.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a couple of Dillon 550B's and because of the rather close quarters on the die tool head, I bought a bag of Dillon hex lock rings. I have Dillon,s wrench set, and REALLY soon came to appreciate the Dillon rings. I don't use anything else except I do use Lee's on the Lee Turret press.

FWIW
Dale53

BCB

Bearcat
Bayouhunter said:
Just changed out the RCBS ring with a Hornady ring will buy hornady dies instead of Rcbs as when possible.bi see no reason to purchase something that needs to be modified as soon as I use it.

You really don't need to modify as the RCBS rings still work as designed. I just put the slotted head brass machine bolt in them for convenience of use...

The Hornady have the allen screw to tighten the split ring...

One reason I don't particularly care for the split ring is the fact that when you have the die in place where you want it and then you screw the split ring down and tighten the screw on it to lock it in place on the die, the die gets so tight again the press top that you need pliers or a wrench to get it loose from the die...

Then if the split ring really isn't locked in place, it will move when moving the die...

Just don't care for the split ring...

BCB

Latest posts