lightening the action on a 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mzimmers

Bearcat
Hi, all -

I'm contemplating modifying one of my 10/22s to work with the CCI Quiet ammunition. The stuff shoots great in the rifle, but isn't "hot" enough to cycle the action (which CCI states up front). Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Be a similar thing as VQ did to allow functioning of 22 short - lightened bolt and spring.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
mzimmers said:
Hi, all -

I'm contemplating modifying one of my 10/22s to work with the CCI Quiet ammunition. The stuff shoots great in the rifle, but isn't "hot" enough to cycle the action (which CCI states up front). Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Chamfer (actually, radius) the rear of the bolt. I've done this on three of my five 10/22s. They handle standard velocity loads beautifully.

The photos in this link clearly show how to do it.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251031

mzimmers

Bearcat
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll look at the Volquartsen options, and if I don't find something that will work, I'll do the radiusing.

pjinak

Single-Sixer
You might pick up a copy of Mark White's book "Ultimate Ruger 10/22 manual and users guide"...

Lots of good info in there that works - Mark did extensive testing to get the 10/22 action to cycle with Aquilla's SSS round - a Sub-sonic round with 60 gr bullet.

I was initially a bit hesitant to drill into the bolt in order to help the action cycle with the subsonic ammo but would recommend that route as long as you realize that once you have removed the mass from the bolt - there aint no puttin' it back! Thus, the bolt will probably only run well with lower power ammo...

Best of Luck & have fun!

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
You will need to take a significant amount of weight out of the bolt to get it to cycle.

The old Remington semi's like the Nylon 66 will cycle them, but a 10/22 will not. Just start drilling a Ruger bolt until it cycles. I'd suggest a Kidd recoil assembly with the light spring.

mzimmers

Bearcat
Thanks, 98. Are there any online guide about to where to relieve the bolt?

I'm now thinking of using the Ruger 10/22 tactical with the bull barrel as the base unit for this. A 16" barrel should make for a handy varmint gun.