Lefty Hawkeye Laminate Stainless 300WM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Finally got a chance to take it to the range. Mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10, bore sighted it and on paper at 10 o"clock with the first shot. Cleaned and fired again, ragged hole. Cleaned again and the group opened to about .25 inch. Moved to 100, shot 1 and cleaned for 5 more rounds. Adjusted the scope to hopefully hit dead center about 3" high. Fired 3 consecutive shots and had a nice round group with the largest spread at .75! Cleaned again, fired 3 more at a fresh target and ditto of the first previous group cleaned again and again all three at .75. Amazing accuracy! What really got me was the ammo I was using was the cheaper Fed Hi-Shok 180gr fodder. After about 20 rounds, my shoulder was shot but I was smiling ear to ear. Hopefully when I use Federal Vital-Shoks they will group just about as nice. :p

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Glad to hear your lefty Hawkeye is working out! I have the same gun (matte ss/lam, correct?) in 30-06, and it has been blooded thoroughly this year with 150gr Corelokts. 2 deer and a hog at ranges from 80-140yds. I haven't tried the Federal ammo yet, but if you ever get in a pinch don't hesitate to try 150gr Corelokts in your 300. Shot 2 deer last year with my 1-B 300win mag with them, and the bullet held together plenty fine at impact range of 80yds.

Also love that Zeiss you have. I have the same one on my 300,and it's the first scope I've used that allows me to see WELL before and after legal shooting time.