Leather hats...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
I have been looking for a hat. Kinda western (maybe Australian) style, but not necessarily a cowboy hat.

I came across one that love the shape and hatband on, for about $80, but it is leather. I need a hat that i can wear year round and that sweat and rain will not ruin.

Anyone got any experience with leather hats? Would i be wasting my money? Next step maybe oilskin?

Suggestions? Experience?

This is the one i speak of:
http://www.overland.com/Products/NewNotable-590/MadeintheUSACanada-697/MadeintheUSAMensAccessories-640/RagingBullLeatherHat/PID-72737.aspx

AlanJ65

Single-Sixer
I have a couple of hats from Excalibur Leather. Not sure of your price range but a couple of them look something like what you are looking for.

http://excaliburleather.com/catalog/hats.html

dougader

Hunter
Leather works, but look at the felt/wool hats there. They can be waterproof, are lighter and IMO are cooler in the summer. I like the Sierra they sell on this site.

6gun

Hunter
I only like the real fur felt hats like a good Stetson for example, never cared for leather hats after seeing all the hippies wearing them in the 60's.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have always heard not to wear leather jackets in the rain, but motorcycle jackets get worn in the rain all the time, and they just seem to get better and better looking.

So I would try the leather hat, keep it treated.

I have a hat that looks just like the hat in your link. I got it at Bass Pro, it is some sort of treated canvas that looks like worn leather.

For me it is not realistic to wear the same hat year round. Different weather conditions and activities require different hats. Ed

What about one of those Tilly Hats? I remember one of their advertisements, stating that if an elephant eats your Tilly hat, just follow the elephant around long enough and you can recover the hat.

Joe S.

Hunter
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the excalibur hats. Not really my style. Thanks.

Ed, mainly mean for horseback in warmer weather. I have boonies, beanies and ball caps i wear as temp dictates. But in MS, inevitably, you will be outside on a sunny day and a storm will blow up. So i need a durable hat.
What to do if you get caught in a downpour with leather or it gets soaked with sweat?

I have also considered the Outback hats after seeing a Grizzly advertised here.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Years ago, one of the tres amigos was a Chinese cowboy who wore a patchwork leather hat year 'round while riding. It seemed to be far lighter thatn the one you show. Th one depicted looks as if it might be a mite too heavy.

Bob Wright

eveled

Hawkeye
Joe S. said:
What to do if you get caught in a downpour with leather or it gets soaked with sweat?

Just let it dry, preferably on your head. My guess is it will get more and more comfy and better looking each time. It works on my jackets and gloves.

Wish I got to ride a horse often enough to worry about having a good hat to do it in! :D I inherited a nice wool felt cowboy hat, it only gets worn on Halloween!

Happy Holidays, and I hope you find the perfect hat! Ed

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
I wear a leather hat very much like the one you're considering. I treated it and it sheds rain great. In summer, I switch to a Tilley.

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
Joe, to tell the truth, I don't remember. It was about 5 years ago and I remember getting the treatment from Tandy Leather. It still beads water.

Big Rack

Bearcat
I bought one from Boot Country it may be on there website still it's been years ago. It just seemed to fit well and really wasn't too hot, I went over it with whatever product Justin recomends for their boots and rain didn't bother it all.

Latest posts