LCR 9mm or SP 101 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LProf

Bearcat
I am considering buying a Ruger 9mm revolver and am undecided between the LCR 9mm or the SP 101 9mm. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has shot both.

Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I own a Speed-Six in 9mm, and a LCR in 9mm, and I've shot a SP-101 in 9mm, and own a few other SP-101's here. (.22, 357, & 32 H&R Mag.) So I have a bit of experience.

First, evaluate what YOUR needs are for this gun. Carrying a lot & shooting a little? Carrying a lot & shooting a lot? Carrying a little & shooting a lot?

Next, you need to find which one fits YOUR hands the best. The Sp-101 has more aftermarket grip options & as such,, can easily fit more folks.

The action. Out of the box, IN GENERAL,,,, the LCR will feel easier to shoot & work the action. But the Sp-101 can smooth up with use, or an action job is easy to do.

Recoil in shooting. A LCR is lighter,,, so felt recoil is going to be sharper, while the heavier SP-101 will be a pleasant shooter. And the heavier SP will be harder to carry comfortably vs the LCR.

My personal preference for carry,, the LCR. For shooting,,, the Sp-101. But you have to decide what YOUR needs are. Me? I have enough DA revolvers to be able to pick either one.

TRanger

Blackhawk
A problem I have noted with lightweight 9mm revolvers, and the LCR in particular, is a tendency for the bullets to jump the crimp under recoil. This has resulted in the powder spilling out into the chambers, putting the gun out of action. Just something to keep in mind.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Contender is spot on.

I'll add that if you plan to pocket carry the LCR is the better option. Also concerning crimp jump I've never had a problem with factory ammo or my reloads in my 9mm SP101s.

The SP101, being heavier, has a much lower incidence of crimp jump than the LCR. I've quit carrying my LCR9 for self defense because of problems with crimp jump. Some types of ammo will completely pull the 5th round's bullet from the recoil of the four previous rounds. Others work better, but I've decided that a compact 9mm semiauto makes more sense as a platform for my SD needs than the LCR9.

grobin

Blackhawk
Decide how you will carry then what. I've wasted enough money on holsters that don't work to buy a nice revolver. There are a lot of options: inside/outside belt at apendix,3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, cross draw, theeperson, shoulder holster, or CC clothing. Find a store with a selection that you can try on then buy the holster and gun from them. I enjoyed having the SP101 in.357, but found it hard to carry compared to the SIG 938 or the Springfield XD compact your mileage will vary.

LProf

Bearcat
I plan on pocket carrying the 38sp. and using the 9mm for home defense. Because of the potential for crimp jump, I will probably get the SP101 in 9mm, particularly since I don't plan on using it for carry.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well in that case size and carry options don't matter that much! I'd look at a blackhawk convertable. It shoots 9mm/38/357 and is easy and fun. If you can stand the thought of a pistol the security 9 or the RAP WOULD be good.

contender

Ruger Guru
Now that you have stated your primary intentions,,, it helps us add more info.
For carrying,,, the LCR is a fine firearm. And, loaded with factory ammo,,, crimp jumping isn't likely to be a factor at all. Good quality self defense ammo is tried & proven.
For home defense,,, having the SP-101 is fine as well. As noted,, it's a 5 shot,,, and you can get other handguns with more capacity. With the larger capacity, you also get a larger firearm. Along with that,,, having an almost infallible design,,, the DA revolver as a self defense or home defense handgun is tops. No magazines OR magazine releases to worry with. No manual safety(s) to worry with. No slide to rack, or see jammed. Just pick it up, with either hand, in almost any position, and it will work, one handed or two.
When I teach,,, especially when stressing self defense,,, I ask students; "Can you make your firearm operate, with just one hand, your off hand, while under attack & possibly on the ground?" The DA revolver is the best design to make it possible to answer "Yes" to my question.

Looks like all you need to do now is buy the guns, get some ammo, and start practicing!

mg357

Bearcat
I have shot both and i think that the sp101 is much better for the following reasons

1. It's heavier

2. The sights are bigger

3. The grips are longer and their bigger.

Which means better recoil control and a much more enjoyable shooting experience on the range.

LProf

Bearcat
I decided on the LCRx because I want the option to carry either OWB or pocket and the LCR fits my cargo shorts pants pockets better. I wear shorts 95% of the time here in Florida. I also liked the LCR trigger better.

DonFDavis

Bearcat
I'm a little late here. I have both, and both have their uses. The SP101 has a slightly longer barrel and so better velocity (I've chronographed several loads in both). I did not like the stock grips on the LCR so I added Hogue G10 - nice. For pocket carry the smooth light LCR is ideal.

For belt carry I see no reason to handicap myself with the LCR, so I have just ordered a belt holster for my SP101. 9mm performs v well from a short barreled revolver. Why have a 6 or 7 shot semiauto (that may be a single shot) when you can have 5 for sure with your Ruger revolver. Never had any issues with bullets moving out of the case using several brands of factory ammo - mainly Federal.

Both are great performers and a credit to Ruger.

Keep in mind that self defense happens, and can only be justified, at v short ranges. No need for full size pistols that shoot 2" groups at 25 yards. You'll likely be fending off an attacker with one hand while shooting with the other. Snub revolvers are ideal in this scenario.

In winter I carry a 3" GP100 at 4 o'clock OWB - no problems with comfort or concealability (with jacket).

I shoot DA all the time, and I wish Ruger would make bobbed hammers available for us to install ourselves.