LC9 9 rnd magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cal44

Bearcat
Has anyone found one of these yet?

I had one backordered from Cabelas for months and they just canceled the backorder.

Has Ruger decided not to build them?

Dave

Newbs

Bearcat
When I contacted Ruger, the person wasn't even aware of the magazine add that Ruger had placed saying they were available now. That was the 1st of April. Haven't seen any adds since and Ruger will not say when they will be available. My guess is that someone at Ruger jumped the gun or someone forgot to tell Italy they needed to start making them.

Gearhead Jim

Bearcat
Seems to me someone posted about actually having one, a few months ago. But I haven't seen any in the shops, it's hard to find even the 7 rd version.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I really feel like these mags are somehow missing the point. As everyone knows one of the most important measurements in a concealed gun is the length from the top of the slide to the bottom of the mag well. I simply feel this is something the lc9 was never intended to be.

If you need 10 rounds you might as well go to the sr9c with 10+1 or sr40c with 9+1. You've effectively eliminated the strongest point of the LC9 over the SR line which is the smaller more concealable size. Its really not much shorter then the SR's at that point.

With the SR you get a longer site radius a much better handling and a more accurate gun with a MUCH better trigger.

I guess what I'm saying is if you get your 9 round mags, and are happy with it and carrying it all the time, you'd be much happier with a compact SR.

Newbs

Bearcat
I agree with a lot of what Rei40c says, but I own and shoot an LCP, LC9, SR9c, and many others. There are 2 really important attributes of a ccw that is missing here. First is the thickness of the gun. The LC9 is much thinner than the SR9c. That speaks for itself. The single most important thing for any personal defense weapon is the ability to hit your target. I am much more accurate with a gun that fits my hand and I can get a good trigger squeeze on, and lord knows, the LC9 needs it. I can't do that without a mag extension on the LC9. If I can get the same or better grip with a 9 round mag, bonus. It fits my hand and give me 2 more rounds. I still maintain the thinness of the weapon without adding much more length than the mag with grip extension. The first thing I did with the LCP was a +1 mag extension that allowed 3 fingers on the grip. I really don't feel it made any difference in the ability to conceal it and it made all the difference in the world downrange (with a laser, I'm still trying to find the sights).

There are also a lot of people out there that can't afford a multitude of guns and it is rare that you can trade or upgrade without spending money. For those that have the LC9 only or aren't gun nuts like myself, and probably you, the 9 rounder could be an excellent upgrade, provide more versatility to the weapon, and provide an additional 2 if needed.

You can also have the stock mag in the gun if concealed is that big of an issue and pack the 9's as backup. I never pack without additional mag(s) and IMO there is no such thing as too much ammo. In a lot of self defense situations, he who has the most ammo wins (which should stress the importance of hitting what you shoot at).

Given a choice, I'll pack my SR9c before the LC9 because of the reasons Rei40c states, but the LC9 is still small enough for a pocket or my wife's purse and much easier to conceal than the SR9c due to thickness. If I can do that with an additional 2 rounds, I'll do it. Sign me up for at least 2. The sad part is Ruger has dangled the carrot, and not delivered. Very disappointing. I am really getting tired of the gun industry releasing all these great new guns / accessories and not being able to get them for at least a couple of years.

Cal44

Bearcat
For me, to get accuracy, I need to use the mag extension so my pinky finger isn't flapping in the breeze.

So I agree with bearcat.

Might as well have an extra round or two if I have to put the extension thingie on the standard magazine anyway.

Dave

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Newbs your right, I know no one gun can be everything. I may even be a little hypocritical as I'm looking for something even smaller then my sr40c for summer carry. I'm eyeing the Sig P238 got a chance to hold one but wow is it pricey. My lgs is asking $725 for it. I know its a Sig but geeze.

Cal44 I figured out why I use the pinky on the lc9 so much when I shoot it. As I start the long trigger pull by the end of it I'm grasping to get it to break. I think if the lc9 had a short trigger travel I'd probably not mind the missing pinky at all.

Cal44

Bearcat
Well, today I noticed that Cabelas shows the 9rnd LC9 magazine in stock on their web site.

So I ordered a couple of them.

Supposedly I'll get them 8/13 -- I post if they come.

Dave

Newbs

Bearcat
I just checked Ruger's site. They have them listed too, the same price as Cabela's.

Cal44

Bearcat
The 9 rnd magazines arrived.

Looking good.

The extend below the gun maybe 3/4".

Looks like they would have plenty of pinky finger room.

Haven't tried them at the range yet -- maybe tomorrow.

Dave

Newbs

Bearcat
I wound up buying 3. Nice compliment to factory mags. I did a comparison to SR9C with 10 rd. mags. Although I would prefer to shoot the SR, the LC even with the 9 rd. mags provides a much thinner gun to conceal, especially in these summer months. I see myself getting more use out of my LC with the new mags. I would recommend to others that they at least try one. For those that haven't seen it, the mag is extended for the extra rounds and they use a sleeve very similar to the SRc series that also extends the grip. You get a much better grip (at least for me) on the weapon.

hittman

Staff member
Wow! $45.00 plus shipping for a 9 round mag? My goodness those seem high.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Wow! $45.00 plus shipping for a 9 round mag? My goodness those seem high.

So Ruger is now gouging their customers too ?

Probably only include one mag with the gun I'd guess as well.

This ain't the Ruger we used to know ...

REV

hittman

Staff member
Well ..... I wouldn't say they're gouging on their price but, at over $50 bucks shipped it's sure more than I'm willing to pay.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Well ..... I wouldn't say they're gouging on their price but, at over $50 bucks shipped it's sure more than I'm willing to pay.

Really ? How many times have you paid $50 for a mag for a current gun ?

$50 for a $20 mag is gouging .... especially if they only give you ONE with the gun.

It's just another way to get another $40 profit out of the gun, and it also raises the price of the gun by $50, since almost all guns come with 2 mags. People would be well advised to consider stuff like this when making their choices, but most probably don't.

REV

hittman

Staff member
revhigh said:
How many times have you paid $50 for a mag for a current gun ?

Never and I wonder how many other $320 guns take $50 mags??

Cal44

Bearcat
Well, the LC9 is a mass market relatively inexpensive gun.

Ruger probably needs to keep the price point low.

Besides coming with only one magazine, the LC9 comes in a cardboard box.

The GP-100 I just bought and the Super Blackhawk I bought 6 months ago came in the plastic case.

But you still get a lot of gun for your money with the LC9.

I'm happy with mine. And what you get for your money seems fair to me.

Perhaps some third party will start making magazines for the LC9 and drive the price down.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cal44 said:
But you still get a lot of gun for your money with the LC9.

That is definitely debatable, as the real price with two mags is closer to $400 OTD.

The LC9 is most certainly NOT a lot of gun for $400.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
revhigh said:
How many times have you paid $50 for a mag for a current gun ?

Never and I wonder how many other $320 guns take $50 mags??

The only mags I've seen that high are older hard to obtain mags like for the Sig P6.

That price, and the fact that it only comes with one mag would definitely affect my purchasing decision. So many people ignore these type things, and pretty soon, with extra mags, trigger kits, guide rods, and a bunch of other garbage, they have $600-700 or more in a $300 gun that's worth $175-200 in the market. Kinda like the kids with junk ricer cars that put $3000 stereos and $2000 wheels on them, when the car is worth $500.

REV

hittman

Staff member
revhigh said:
So many people ignore these type things, and pretty soon, with extra mags, trigger kits, guide rods, and a bunch of other garbage, they have $600-700 or more in a $300 gun that's worth $175-200 in the market.

LOL ~ it's so funny you made that analogy. A local friend bought a LCP when they first came out. He had problems with it and it made 2 trips back to Ruger. Granted, the fixes were FREE, no complaints there but, he was still without the gun, had the frustration, etc. Then be bought extra mags.......and a laser.......and a fancy leather pocket holster......then a leather IWB......long story short ~ he has a tad over $500.00 in the whole package.

In the end ..... he's happy with it and that's all that matters cause Lord knows he'll never get his money back on it!