KP Bolt Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have one 22/45 KP model with a blue bolt and the rest have stainless bolts. I have seen pictures of various KP models with both blue and stainless bolts. Is there any rhyme or reason to how they show up? Is it just which ever "bolt bucket" the assembler happened to reach into or which one was in stock at the time the pistol was assembled? Were there certain serial number prefixes or date ranges that had one or the other?

HSG

I'd say you answered your own question, and would have to leave the "why, whatever" to someone like Chad, (RENE)as the serial number ranges would burn out my brain, even trying to come up with those numbers....it is "parts" and they ( the factory) make NO notation as to that......we too have seen it both ways.

chet15

Hawkeye
Highstandardguy said:
I have one 22/45 KP model with a blue bolt and the rest have stainless bolts. I have seen pictures of various KP models with both blue and stainless bolts. Is there any rhyme or reason to how they show up? Is it just which ever "bolt bucket" the assembler happened to reach into or which one was in stock at the time the pistol was assembled? Were there certain serial number prefixes or date ranges that had one or the other?

HSG

We'd need to see the catalog number and/or model number on the end of the box and get some sort of idea on the serial number. There's been lots of distributor specials, things like two-tone guns etc.
But then again, you may simply have a gun that somebody (after factory) changed the bolt on.
Chet15

The KP models I have.

KP514 220-06188 00163 blue bolt
KP512 222-11892 00192 stainless bolt
KP4 225-62221 00190 stainless bolt

All are marked as stainless on the label. I'm reasonable confident that these are original but no proof since I bought all of them used.

FWIW, in my limited experience, I've only seen this on the 22/45s with the exception of the 50th anniversary model which is blue with a stainless bolt with logo. I haven't seen it on any of the other steel frame models or the MKIII 22/45s.

chet15

Hawkeye
You might have to chalk that one up as being changed by somebody, because I don't think anybody will be able to prove it came from the factory that way.
Chet15