Issue with brand new Ruger SR9C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Volusianator

Bearcat
Iron Mike Golf said:
Also remover the striker and clean the striker tunnel.

Do that last every 100-200 rounds and check for brass shavings as the extracto breaks in. At some point around 500 rds, the brass sahving in the striker tunnel will stop. After that, I clean the striker tunnel every 1000 rds or so.
Is there any detriment to cleaning the striker and tunnel during every cleaning? I cleaned my thoroughly when the gun was new, and have cleaned it every time since. I guess I just enjoy doing the cleaning as much as shooting.

gfw1985

Bearcat
LOL As a youth I spent more time cleaning guns than shooting. I was responsible for cleaning everything used after each outing, especially hunting, fired or not. Great way to learn your weapon in the event of problems that may arise.

aphawki

Bearcat
Holy brass shavings Batman! Sure wish I would have read this earlier. Cleaned out both and wow was there a ton of shaving in there. I mean not like it was solid brass...but there was much more than I expected. Glad I caught this before any major issues!

Hrothgar

Bearcat
I've put 150 rounds through mine now, using both magazines, no problems even with cheap ammo. I'll be cleaning this weekend.

beason

Bearcat
ok so i tore it down and cleaned out all the grease with high pressure gun cleaner. I pulled the fire pin back and stuck the tip of the cleaner tube in the hole and blasted it really good. I will be removing the backplate to check for brass the next time i clean it.

I also left it locked back, and both mags loaded full for about a week.

the slide is easier to pull back, the mags are easier to load, and i put 50 rnds through it without a single jam.

I did however have a couple of times when the trigger didnt reset. but only on the first mag.

I will be inspecting the bar when i do the next clean.

thanks for all the info fellas!

cluznar

Bearcat
When I first got mine I field stripped it and cleaned it well then oiled it and put some Tetra gun grease on the slide rails. Shot very well for me.

luckybaer

Bearcat
Boy, I've recently made a few gun purchases, and I have to say that the Ruger came slathered in more goop than any of the others. I cleaned it off, and I look forward to firing it for the first time shortly.

Mtrewyn

Bearcat
After I got mine, opened it up took the "striker" out cleaned it all out with gun scrubber, and put a drop or two of oil on it, did not have a single issue with it, I have put prob 300 rounds through it no issues,

Latest posts