Is it normal ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loiblb

Single-Sixer
My new 10-22 is mangling spent brass. The mouth of each case is mashed flat and a small shallow V is stamped in the side if each case..
The gun has about 50 rounds through it, and jamed once.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
I don't know, never really looked at the stuff mine throws out..... Are you having any issues, ie: Failure to feed, extract, etc. ?
If not, I wouldn't worry about it, it's not like you're reloading the stuff...

donut757

Blackhawk
Richbaker said:
I don't know, never really looked at the stuff mine throws out..... Are you having any issues, ie: Failure to feed, extract, etc. ?
If not, I wouldn't worry about it, it's not like you're reloading the stuff...

I agree.... If it isnt interferring with the functioning of the gun, dont sweat it... If you do want to change it, a few dollars on a new extractor would take care of it i would think.

Smashed flat? The case is completely pinched flat at the mouth?

The only thing that would cause that is the case is being crushed by the bolt. Next time you shoot. Set up a camera next to the action. Record the thing ejecting out cases. Even though it's not slow mo....youll be able to get an idea what is going on.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Kinda with blume357 on this. While it may not be a big deal if it's not hindering performance, it's still not right. Nothing I'd call Ruger about however as they'll simply say "send it in to us." Without a better idea of what exactly is happening, I'm thinking try a few different things to eliminate the cause. Shoot without the magazine in. Try different ammo. Never had that issue with any of mine but I'd want to know why and fix it.

hpman66

Hunter
BlkHawk73 said:
Kinda with blume357 on this. While it may not be a big deal if it's not hindering performance, it's still not right. Nothing I'd call Ruger about however as they'll simply say "send it in to us." Without a better idea of what exactly is happening, I'm thinking try a few different things to eliminate the cause. Shoot without the magazine in. Try different ammo. Never had that issue with any of mine but I'd want to know why and fix it.

That makes three of us. I can't EVER recall seeing any spent brass come out of a Ruger 10/22 or a Ruger semi-auto pistol that was mashed flat. After firing, the extractor takes the empty case straight back and then it is ejected out the side and there isn't anything to mash it. Any pics available? The ONLY thing that would mash the case would be the bolt coming foward, stripping off a new round and catching the spent case at the same time. But then the 10/22 should not fire as the bolt has not came fully foward and would not allow it to fire.

LEO45

Bearcat
This is just a comment, but if the rifle been dry fired enough times, there might be a small indent at the front of the chamber. If so, it would cause the small dent in the side of the case, slowing extraction a smidge and leading to some crushing of the case mouth during the cycling process

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Might be a bolt spring problem too,,I'm working on two .17 MachII builds and one kept crushing brass.
I bought a couple of packs of Kidd's rod guides and spring assortment. Problem solved,,one rifle the EA Brown kit needs the
extra strong (red) and the other rifle (ER Shaw) runs fine on the standard spring,which could change when its been shot awhile.
Good luck,,its just amatter of fine tuning most likely.
JMO
Terry

Precision32

Blackhawk
Look at the charging handle and see if it has any marks on it. Many times spent brass will hit the handle on the was out of the rifle and get deformed.

There is really nothing in the rifle to smash the case mouth except the bolt. If that was the cause the rifle would be jamming and the cause would be easy to see.

IMHO, shoot the rifle and enjoy it.