Is it Cheating

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Kerstetter

Bearcat
I bought a 'gun support', to rest both my MKI pistol and a 22 Rifle on when shooting.

Would this be considered cheating? With my pistol, at 50 feet, my shot group is not good at all. With my rifle, at 150 ft, my shot group is so-so.

Any just wondering when I use the support, am I cheating.

Bob

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cheating? Depends on what you're doing.

Most (all?) of us use rests of various sorts when we're testing our guns and ammo for accuracy. It's an accepted practice, and has been for decades if not centuries.

If you can use a rest or support of some kind in the field for hunting, and it's not prohibited by your state's laws, and you find it's more of a help than a hindrance, then go for it! I can assure you that the professional military and law enforcement snipers take advantage of all the rest and support they can get. :wink:

If you are playing any of the various forms of shooting games or competitions except benchrest, you won't be allowed to use your rest.

And of course, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to use any kind of rest-thingie in any sort of self-defense shooting situation. :?

Bob Kerstetter

Bearcat
This is the rest I got the other day. Have yet to use it. I go to the range for enjoyment, and with a 22, it is not for home defense. I have a 9MM by the bed side. Bob

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=401723&pdesc=Caldwell_Handy_Rest_NXT_Shooting_Rest&aID=510K9&merchID=4006

wwb

Hunter
Darn near identical to the old Caldwell I have.... a little more "stylized" on the legs, but functionally no different.

As has been stated, it's not only allowed, it's RECOMMENDED for zeroing a rifle, load development, accuracy testing, etc. And, in "ultimate accuracy" shooting (like benchrest competition) it's a must.

The rest, though, should not prevent you from practicing offhand, sitting, kneeling, and prone position shooting, as well as practice using improvised rests from less than ideal positions.

It is only "Cheating" if you are supposed to be shooting 'off hand'. My pistols all shoot better than I do and if I didn't have some type of 'support' my groups would look like a shotgun was used. :D :roll:

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Fox Mike said:
It is only "Cheating" if you are supposed to be shooting 'off hand'. My pistols all shoot better than I do and if I didn't have some type of 'support' my groups would look like a shotgun was used. :D :roll:
FM, my 10-shot groups often times are like that from my 22/45. Of course, I am going to, with some help from a fellow RF member, repaint my front sight blade to increase target contrast.

But when it comes to shooting by choice with a rest, assuming it is not prohibited for any reason, it is not cheating. It is practically impossible to hold a pistol as steady offhand as one could with a rest.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Bob Kerstetter said:
I bought a 'gun support', to rest both my MKI pistol and a 22 Rifle on when shooting.

Would this be considered cheating? With my pistol, at 50 feet, my shot group is not good at all. With my rifle, at 150 ft, my shot group is so-so.

Any just wondering when I use the support, am I cheating.

Bob

When gun mags test gun accuracy, they do it with a rest... basicaly, to see how accurate your gun is, you need to take "you" out of the equasion... of course a rest doesnt completly do that, becuase its still up to you to point it and pull the trigger...

now if you were to get a gun vise with a remote trigger... that would be cheating....

Baldy

Single-Sixer
Main thing is if you enjoy shooting off of a rest, then go ahead and enjoy yourself. If there wasn't a fun side to shooting about half the people would quit.

I do like that rest you got and may get me one..

Hangfire

Bearcat
As for your Rifle shooting why don't you look up RWVA.org find an Appleseed marksmanship clinic in your area and get hooked on using a sling off hand, setting and prone. You will be amazed at how a day of training can improve your scores. If you enjoy rifle shooting you will love an Appleseed shoot a 2 day clinic pre-registered is only $70.00 and you get a lesson in American Revolutionary History as well. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

smokeyw

Bearcat
This is the one I use when I use one. Sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't.
Oct2010007.jpg

EWKArms

Bearcat
If you can use a rest or support of some kind in the field for hunting, and it's not prohibited by your state's laws, and you find it's more of a help than a hindrance, then go for it!

Wow-that is against the law in some states??!! I can see it in shooting events where the rule would be to test ones skill in a style of shooting, but in hunting, it seems wrong...we're not talking heat seeking missiles, even with a support you need skill to achieve good shots, its simply an aid...just like hunters can use trees for "supports" or can they? :?

flatgate

Hawkeye
One of my favorite shooting "styles" is to adapt to the surroundings and come up with a good rest no matter where I am.

One knee on the ground, strong side elbow resting on my knee.
Elmer''s "Back Rest" style.
Using a limb on a tree.
Setting in a lawn chair and using my knee again.

Anything but "off hand"! :shock:

flatgate

thats why they are flat on the bottom of the grip , so you can set it on any given fence post or even the rail......

and if YOU are the 'sheriff' you can pound the nails to hold up 'wanted " posters....gosh Col Colt was so smart....... :roll:

( but if YOU are married , and the wifey catches you with your girl friend,, that is considered "cheating"...... :shock: none of us can help you.....) 8)