Include Approx. SR-9 (and SR-9c) Serial Numbers With Posts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger_rules

Bearcat
I've got a KP-89 and a 'retired' Colt 9mm CLW Commander, but I've been itching to 'pull the trigger' (pun intended) on a new SR-9 but have been held back by the trigger, peening, cracking,... problems as posted here. Seeing alternating posts about "great" and "problematic" SR-9s, I was thinking it would be informative for everyone and myself to know what the approximate serial numbers are being talked about. Maybe, there was a bad batch. Maybe,.... Anybody think including approximate SR-9 (and SR-9c) serial numbers, e.g. 331-07XXX, with posts is a bad, good, indifferent,... idea?

(And maybe a 'Stickey:' asking everyone to include the approximate serial nuimber when posting about a "great" or "problematic" pistol?)

For myself, I want to check the LGS for SR-9 serial numbers, call Ruger to find out the DOB, and try and buy the latest (and greatest) one.

Thanks for any input.

EdgeSR9

Bearcat
330-6xxxx some minor peening has stopped now with gun broken in and has fallen into timing.Excellent Pistol. :D

jhearne

Buckeye
I don't think there was any bad batches. The Peening has pretty much been deduced to issues with tolerances. It's also gotten better, the SR9c has a relief cut it seems in the slide that helps with the peening, we're not seeing near the amount of peening from SR9c's than we have with the SR9 (frequency not actual numbers). Cracking is a very rare thing, the 2 times I recall seeing it posted here weren't cracking either time, one frame and one slide. There have been a couple of bad Camblocks that had a casting bubble formed in them, Ruger will send a replacement for those if you ever did have one like that.

The biggest 'real' issue now for the SR9 and SR9c is of course the Trigger. Some people don't mind it, some do. Those that do mind it, polish, install a Ghost or sell it. I recommend getting a Ghost trigger of your liking, shoot it to wear the internals in, then polish if there's a residual issue with stacking.

There's quite a few people who don't like giving out their serial numbers, I don't mind it as I don't take the time to edit my photos or videos to cover my number if it ever shows. The government knows the guns I do have.

The other issue with the problems you've read about are that most people come here to ask questions, or seek guidance on a problem. Some ask about the gun, get it and continue posting seeing no issues ever.

You'd get results and some answers for your search, but I don't think they're a fair sample of the SR9s out there today. Ruger won't tell you the DOB, but the date it shipped, which will be fairly close to the spent shell casing inside each Ruger box. Each one is dated and sealed inside the plastic case with the manual and other paperwork.

If I were you, I would hit up your LGS's and find the one you like best and compare the prices they're putting them up for.

Josh

ruger_fan

Bearcat
^^^ What he said.

You gotta keep in mind that most posting on the net are the ones posting about problems, not the ones posting about 'everything is awesome!'. Just the nature of searching the 'net. When you're happy about a product, no one cares! :shock:

I have a SR9c, one of the first 400 based on serial number, completely stock, and it's awesome. No problems.

About the only upgrade I plan on for it is the CT laser when it becomes available.

HTH.

Strange

Bearcat
330-57XXX, No problems, love the pistol and only mod was Ghost Ultimate trigger..600 rds down range

All I can do, is report my SR9, made in 2008, s/n 330-376xx, is an extremely well made pistol, that always works, and after a very short break-in, has never exhibited any of the illnesses that are routinely reported here.

I also wonder, often, why there is such a huge spectrum between really bad (reported) triggers, and really good ones, as mine is so nice, I wish it was a little harder to pull, considering what this pistol is made for.

WAYNO.

Scott

Single-Sixer
330-86xxx here; Fired shell casing has sometime in early to mid-2009. Had an initial problem of a broken striker spring cup - I argued a little with Ruger about whether I broke it or it came that way, but they made it right. Have about 6-700 rounds through it and have NO "peening" or other problems. It's my daily carry and frequent range gun. It's the only semi-auto I shoot regularly, so can't comment on it's trigger other than it's what I'm used to and I have developed very high confidence it will go bang every time I pull it.

elkhunter62

Bearcat
Hey there i have one thats 331xxxx and its awesome i have not had any probs with this pistol and i love it alot i go to the range about two times a month and put around two to three hundred rounds and works all the time.
I think if you like it get one and im sure you will LIKE !!!!!

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
330-25xxx. I guess it has VERY MINUTE peening that hasn't affected operation one bit. No problems that a different ammo or correcting operator error didn't fix immediately. I don't mind the trigger. I was seriously thinking about a Ghost trigger until I bought a DAO SP101. My SR9 gets better everytime I shoot it. I like Glocks, but the SR9 is more comfortable/accurate/fun to shoot. I'll lay money down that you'll enjoy one (especially OD green haha).

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
330-878xx
NO hiccups, no peening, no flaking, no nuthing 8)
Trigger is still a bit sucky but seems to improve as i shoot it :wink:
Hell, I may keep it :lol:

Casual

Bearcat
Scott":1qtsq1yg said:
330-86xxx here; Fired shell casing has sometime in early to mid-2009. Had an initial problem of a broken striker spring cup -...

I've got a 330-77xx and a casing from June 2009. The gun works just fine but I'm curious: what are the symptoms of a broken striker spring cup?