I'm about ready

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
to pull the trigger on a Dillon RL550B w/45ACP. I have the cash and it's going to be a long wait time (6-8 Weeks). I'm going to use my LEE Dies for now. Before I commit, is there any qwerks I should know about or does it just plain works out of the Box like my S.A.1911................................

06ackley

Single-Sixer
I love mine.Just read the instructions and once you get the dies set and the powder charge set it will run like a champ.Only thing I have found is that once I started using it and making ammo relatively fast caliber conversions keep showing up and making life easier. :D

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
06ackley said:
I love mine.Just read the instructions and once you get the dies set and the powder charge set it will run like a champ.Only thing I have found is that once I started using it and making ammo relatively fast caliber conversions keep showing up and making life easier. :D

Yeah, I hear that, all my Dies have their own turret, changing out the Turret is a snap but I need to up my production a little bit, that's why I'm looking real hard at the 550.

I'm also thinking about buying the other conversion kits and heads for the other 4 calibers I load. Going to be about $800 OTD, the Scout Rife can wait.................................

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee,,, if you need to load more,,, heck,, go up to the 650 & just smile a lot as it really cranks out the ammo, especially with the auto case feed assy! I love mine!

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
contender said:
Gee,,, if you need to load more,,, heck,, go up to the 650 & just smile a lot as it really cranks out the ammo, especially with the auto case feed assy! I love mine!

I wish I could, but I don't have the funds for a 650. But the 550 will be a huge improvement over my LEE Classic Turret. I'm be useing the 550 for 45ACP and 223 for now and the LEE for my other calibers.

Once I have conversion kits and Heads for my other calibers, I'll just give the LEE away to someone who want's to start reloading, sort of like what Ronegg did for me when he gave a old, broken in and very serviceable Rock Chucker, which I'll never part with :mrgreen: ................................

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
I have a 550 and I'm sure a 650 would be great. As for me, the 550 is about as automated as I want to be. I enjoy loading more than shooing, and do not mind the manual indexing because I'm in no hurry to get done. If I was pushed for time, and really needed the extra volume, I would get the 650 or 1050.
Anything with the Dillon name on it, is not a mistake and will hold it's value well.

LAH

Buckeye
I have a 550 also & it's about as simple a machine one could have. You'll love it.

GP100man

Buckeye
Cheif , let us know how it works out , I`ve been lookin at maybe the lee turret or the 550 also ,just can`t make my mind up .

I really like the auto indexing on the lee , but like the simplicity of the 550.

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Just got my new progressive . . . Hornady LNL AP. 5 stations. No slop in the turret or toolhead (because there aren't any), and none at the shellplate. Fast changeovers - not as fast as the Lee CT, but fast because of the LNL bushings. A couple of bushings represents the total changeover cost. Very good powder measure.

Lots of cash left over, too :)

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
GP100man said:
Cheif , let us know how it works out , I`ve been lookin at maybe the lee turret or the 550 also ,just can`t make my mind up .

I really like the auto indexing on the lee , but like the simplicity of the 550.

GP100man, Buy the Dillon, see my post below :D !...........................

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have a couple Dillons and the Hornady LNLAP. You can't go wrong with Blue. Its good stuff. The Hornady works okay, but I would be happier with a 650.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
OK Gang, I fell into a Dillon 550B at work in all places. Acquired a used one but it looks brand new and I didn't have to wait 6-8 weeks :D. Holy crap, this Press screams quality! It came with 45ACP conversion kit and Dies, Primer Feed, Primer Alarm, Press repair kit, extra Tool Head and Tools. Total cost was 150 Rnds of 45 Colt, 100 Rnds 223, Install of a Garmin GPS and a Radio Transceiver in his Boat. Man-o-Man I'm stoked! GP100man, get the Dillon! :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, my LEE classic Turret pretty good press, you can't go wrong with it, Great bang for the Buck and then some, I never had a problem with it, been pretty happy with it but I needed something more and the 550 fits the Bill :D .................................

dougader

Hunter
Awesome deal, Chief! I got my 550B as a birthday present about 1987 or so. Back then I think they ran for about $235 with one tool head. I didn't realize how much they had gone up in price.

I have never had a problem with mine, but I don't compete anymore so I use it less than I used to (which used to be about 3 times a week!).

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
I came home early today ( I love local road trips 8) ). I tore down my LEE Press and Mounted the Dillon. I noticed the press was a little stiff :? , I took a close look and I found this brown gunk everywhere. Since I'm a Avionics Toad and my buddy who I bought the press from is a Mech, He used LPS2 for a lube and anyone familiar with LPS2 knows this crap will dry out and build up to a gooey mess. :roll:

So I completely tore the Press down to the Frame and now I'm cleaning off all this nasty crap out. I'm using Paint Safe Contact Cleaner. So far the Paint is perfect, not a chip or scratch anywhere and all the Steel parts are bright and no Rust. :D

Next time I see him I'm going to razz the crap out of him :lol: , steal his Air Freshener Sprays and give him a Broadside from my South End and hold him hostage until the all clear signal is given :twisted: ....................................

dougader

Hunter
Even so, you got a great deal for that 550B package. Now go and enjoy the heck out of it! 8)

grunt

Bearcat
Chief_10Beers said:
Once I have conversion kits and Heads for my other calibers, I'll just give the LEE away to someone who want's to start reloading, sort of like what Ronegg did for me when he gave a old, broken in and very serviceable Rock Chucker, which I'll never part with :mrgreen: ................................

I would gladly take that old LEE Classic Turret off your hands, I have had a turret in my sights for a while.
Just got my hands on a couple of dies and the Lyman 49th reloading handbook. Please PM me and I will pay for shipping and and throw in a little extra for your trouble!

Latest posts