I think I just picked up a factory folding stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Went to an estate sale at my favorite gun shop, and there was an old stainless Ruger Mini-14 with what appeared to be the Ruger factory folding stock. It had obviously not come with the rifle as the stock's metal was blued. I did as much research as I could from my phone, including a few threads on this great forum, and purchased the rifle, after disassembling it to verify that it contained what looks like the date code under the heat shield. I will get some pictures as soon as I can, but is there anything else I should know to be able to verify that it is a Ruger factory stock?

There was a long thread (I think here) with lots of information about similar stocks and the differences, mostly in the pistol grip. Everything I saw points to this as Ruger original. Did anyone make one exactly like the Ruger?

dfletcher

Blackhawk
MAC702 said:
Went to an estate sale at my favorite gun shop, and there was an old stainless Ruger Mini-14 with what appeared to be the Ruger factory folding stock. It had obviously not come with the rifle as the stock's metal was blued. I did as much research as I could from my phone, including a few threads on this great forum, and purchased the rifle, after disassembling it to verify that it contained what looks like the date code under the heat shield. I will get some pictures as soon as I can, but is there anything else I should know to be able to verify that it is a Ruger factory stock?

Best way to verify whether or not the folder is factory issue is to walk around with it at a gun show. If every 2 minutes someone asks "are you selling - or did you just buy that?" it could be factory issue. If people follow you into the bathroom it's probably factory issue. When someone taps on the stall door it's definitely a factory folder. :D

I was selling one at a gun show years ago, had all that happen to me except as I was standing in the restroom a guy got up next to me and asked "is that factory original wood?" :?

Al James

Hunter
dfletcher said:
MAC702 said:

Best way to verify whether or not the folder is factory issue is to walk around with it at a gun show. If every 2 minutes someone asks "are you selling - or did you just buy that?" it could be factory issue. If people follow you into the bathroom it's probably factory issue. When someone taps on the stall door it's definitely a factory folder. :D

I was selling one at a gun show years ago, had all that happen to me except as I was standing in the restroom a guy got up next to me and asked "is that factory original wood?" :?

And if someone gets in the stall next to you and starts tapping his foot.....run. Your post made me laugh, thank you I needed a laugh today. And I just added a new one to my list of things to never say in a mens room.....Is that factory original wood. :lol:

5card

Blackhawk
I do not believe anyone made a fold in SS but Ruger, if it is a wooden folder, that said the difference is the pistol grip, Rugers aer more flat with crosshatch like checkering
like this one
http://gastatic.com/UserImages/4187/915306211/wm_2582339.jpg