I should know what this is

Help Support Ruger Forum:

But for the life of me I'm drawing a blank. Help please

SYpkA66h.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
That's the cylinder stop, sometimes called a bolt, probably from some kind of Smith & Wesson.

It's what snaps up into the notches on the cylinder to lock it in place for firing.

Hondo, the picture threw me too as the "slot" is way thicker?? ( taller from bottom to top) than any of the cyl stops we have, their slots are half as deep as the one pictured above....hhhmmmmm
( and NONE of them blued either........hhhmmm) 8) :roll: :wink:

A customer actually brought in a 686-4 to be fixed after I had posted this yesterday. He had a hard to open cylinder. He's a young guy, Chinese national going to PSU and is not conversant at all about problems with revolvers. In this case the extractor rod had loosened making it hard to open. It was an easy fix and he paid for this lesson on maintaining a revolver.

This part fits perfectly into the cylinder latch slots and is an exact duplicate of the one inside this revolver.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I think what threw me is that it's an MIM part, all of which are shaped a bit differently than the older machined parts that Dan and I are used to seeing for the last 50 years, at least in my case.