How much precision can I really get from a Mini-14 Target?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

heavytread

Bearcat
Hi everyone. First post here.

Up here in Canada, AR-15s are restricted. So I'm strongly considering a Mini-14 as a reasonable substitute.

I know Ruger has done a lot to improve the precision of the mini over the years, and the Target model has features specifically intended to maximize the precision of the platform.

But what level of accuracy can I reasonably expect, under ideal conditions, from that rifle? I.e.: on a bench, with match or handloaded ammo, having tuned the barrel using the barrel tuner? I've heard all kinds of conflicting stories about the maximum precision potential of this rifle, from guys claiming to shoot clover-leafs at 100 yards to guys saying you can expect a maximum of 1.5 MOA - 2 MOA at that distance.

I'd say with a newer mini with the right ammo you should be able to get 2 moa or on somedays better... I doubt if target or standard will make much of a different and I would prefer a standard.... the key is a newer model, 580 or better.

DGW1949

Hunter
It's "Target Model" moniker aside, understand going in that Ruger's offering aint the same as a hand-fitted "match rifle" which is built from "match grade" components, and as often as not built to optimize the use of a certain type of ammo. In other words, "enhanced features" or not, these are still mass produced rifles being built in a "lean manufacturing" environment...Point being that how well any one particular example shoots is going to depend on several factors which when ya get down to it, are going to depend a lot on "luck of the draw". So no, I aint one bit surprised that you're getting conflicting reports from various owners.

All that said, it's not hard to fix most of the quirks which are commonly found in individual Mini-14's . All it takes is a good working-knowledge relative to the basic Mini platform, plus a bit of skill, time and to a lesser extent, money...all of which could be said for working with any other rifle.

Aint no guaranties in life, let alone when it comes to mass produced machinery...so be careful that you don't fall prey to unrealistic expectations, that's what I'm saying.

Hope this helped.

DGW

pisgah

Buckeye
I can believe the occasional report of the 1/2" Target Mini; after all, in any mass-produced rifle you will from time to time find an example that for whatever reason will outshoot its mates. While it is certainly true that Mini 14s of any model made today perform on the whole much better than the Minis of the early days, though, it has been my 40-year experience that the average out-of-the-box AR will outshoot the average Mini, and will generally at least equal, if not beat, the average out-of-the-box Target Model.

Without question, if the Mini 14 design is the one you want, the Target Model represents the choice for the one most likely to provide the best accuracy available with the breed. But if accuracy is your prime concern, my personal choice in semi-autos would be to look among the AR tribe. An AR carefully assembled from matched quality parts (not necessarily meaning match-quality, but quality parts that are carefully selected to match with each other) is a wonder to behold, and remarkably affordable these days.

If an AR is simply not a realistic alternative in your situation, the Mini could be a reasonable substitute -- but in that case again if sterling accuracy is an overriding concern I might consider a bolt action instead.

heavytread

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
Is it even possible to own an AR where you're at? What kind of accuracy are you after?

Hello. Yes, it's possible to own an AR. The problem is that they are in the 'restricted' category, which means they may only be used on government approved ranges and owners require approval from the government to move them around. I was looking for a semi-automatic rifle, with 1 MOA or better precision from the bench, that isn't restricted.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Sounds like a Mini could be the only game in town for you, unless there are other non-restricted options I am not aware of. Forgive the dumb question, but are all AR type rifles restricted? I wonder if an AR built to conform to the old U.S. "assault" weapons ban or with any of the workarounds used in New York and California would be unrestricted.

mulescj8

Bearcat
Keep in mind the Mini 14 Target is .223 only if you want one that will do .223/5.56 then look at the tactical model. Key in accuracy is spending time finding which ammo and grain of bullet runs the best in it. I have a link I will try to find that might help you find a starting point. I picked up 2 mini 14s this year and have been getting them set up and I'm just about ready to start going to the range and fine tuning them.

mulescj8

Bearcat
This might give you a starting point and getting it tuned in.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/mini14.htm

heavytread

Bearcat
heavytread said:
Sounds like a Mini could be the only game in town for you, unless there are other non-restricted options I am not aware of. Forgive the dumb question, but are all AR type rifles restricted?

There are other non-restricted options, but nothing with the market penetration, track record, ease of use and after-market support of the Mini. I could pick up an FNAR, for instance, but they are special snowflakes. Or I could get an SKS for cheap, but they then to be hour-of-angle in terms of accuracy.

The only other semi-automatic center-fire rifle with the ubiquity of the Mini in Canada is the AR. Unfortunately, yes-- all AR rifles and 'variants' are restricted, regardless of how many 'assault' features they have. Our gun laws have some pretty dumb features, and this is one of them. Essentially, if it can mate with an AR lower or upper, it's considered a 'variant' and is restricted. It's pretty sucky.

Major T

Blackhawk
Maybe I was just lucky, but mine shoots three from the bench consistently close to the magic inch with factory ammo. Some times a little under, sometimes a little over. Other than I honed the trigger and sear and lightened the trigger spring (likely a little too much), the rifle is a stock 580 stainless synthetic. I have no idea that it helps or hurts, but I use five shot magazines for sight checking and hunting. Mine is scoped with a Redfield Revolution 3-9.

I am not an AR hater. The good brands are probabally more accurate. I prefer the ergonomics of the Mini-14. I am not a recreational paper puncher. If I go for targets, occasionally, I would use my CZ Varmint. I'm more likely to use the Mini on predators and pigs.

Best wishes,

Jack

demented

Single-Sixer
You probably won't get 1" with the Target model, in fact a regular model with an Accu-strut will usually shoot as well or better. I've fired two target models, both using good ammo, both averaged about 2-2.5 inches which ain't bad for a factory barrel Mini. You can spend the money, have a premium barrel installed and vastly improve accuracy but it won't be cheap to do.

chet15

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
I'd say with a newer mini with the right ammo you should be able to get 2 moa or on somedays better... I doubt if target or standard will make much of a different and I would prefer a standard.... the key is a newer model, 580 or better.

Actually, the key is having a barrel with a noticeable "step" increase in diameter beginning just in front of the gas block. The barrel diameter ahead of this area was increased sometime before 580-50xxx.
Only the first few thousand 581- guns are without the heavier diameter barrel.
Chet15