Has the LCR been proven enough...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rick45acp

Bearcat
I love Ruger's and own several and I really appreciate the knowledge on this forum. I have searched and read and read, but I thought I would ask this question before I lay my money down on the counter. I am ready to buy a new LCR and just wanted to make sure enough time has transpired since they were introduced that it is safe to buy now, without the recall problems I experienced with my SR9 and LCP. From what I can tell there have been almost no problems and the LCR is as dependable as the other Ruger revolvers.

cpallenjr

Bearcat
I have a LCR w/ Crimson Trace grips and have been on the lookout for reports of problems. Honestly, there have been a few reports that probably are the result of individual defects rather than design problems.

- one or two reports of flame cutting on the crane
- a couple of reports of the pivot pin or something to do with the transfer bar breaking.

Mine has been flawless through about 200 rnds. I know, big deal but several people have put 5000 rounds through lcrs without issues.

It's lightweight, has a great trigger, and recoil with 135gr GDHP Short Barrell +p rounds is entirely managable. After market stuff is available - Tritium and fiber optic sights, speed loaders and holsters.

Go for it you won't be sorry.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Haven't noticed many reports of significant problems. Like all lightweights, its mission is to be carried daily and rarely fired. If it runs through a couple of cylinderfuls, it's probably ok. The example I tried was quite accurate, had a good trigger action, and recoil with +P loads was insignificant.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I've never seen a documented 5000-round LCR report (from a non-Ruger source).
As the ammo alone would run into $3000 plus, it would be sponsored by a manufacturer or magazine?
I would like to see technical studies done on a "before and after" LCR.
Any links or references?

Landric

Bearcat
mohavesam":2hq14aqk said:
I've never seen a documented 5000-round LCR report (from a non-Ruger source).
As the ammo alone would run into $3000 plus, it would be sponsored by a manufacturer or magazine?
I would like to see technical studies done on a "before and after" LCR.
Any links or references?

With my cast bullet handloads it would be more like $225 for 5000 rounds. I can't imagine spending $3000 on 5000 rounds of ammunition. Just one of the many reasons I handload and cast.

DPris

Buckeye
Mo,
I'm a non-Ruger source & I documented a 5000-round endurance test on a sample LCR.
5000 rounds of Black Hills premium 125-grain +P JHPs, and a few more mixed loads to come up to just under 5300 total.

Accuracy testing prior to the run, accuracy testing repeated after the run.
Dimensions measured before the run & repeated after the run.

Ruger supplied the test gun & BH provided the ammo.

Denis

DPris

Buckeye
BPJ,
You're very welcome. :)

Most of it was actually quite boring, just loading & shooting into the ground.
Glad it wasn't a 10,000-rounder.
Denis

mohavesam

Hawkeye
DPris":ynxw00cq said:
Mo,
I'm a non-Ruger source & I documented a 5000-round endurance test on a sample LCR.
5000 rounds of Black Hills premium 125-grain +P JHPs, and a few more mixed loads to come up to just under 5300 total.

Accuracy testing prior to the run, accuracy testing repeated after the run.
Dimensions measured before the run & repeated after the run.

Ruger supplied the test gun & BH provided the ammo.

Denis

Got a link or article? Did you by chance run NDT on the metallic parts after or replace any parts/ write up cleaning frquency or such? I'm sorry to say I didn't read your review!
thx in advance!

DPris

Buckeye
No analysis on the parts aside from the measurements.
No parts replaced, no malfunctions aside from those induced by the glove I wore in short-stroking the trigger inadvertently a few times.
Cleaning was a brief barrel and frame swab & oil on the hammer pin every thousand rounds as the manual detailed.
At the end the gun was more accurate than at the beginning & the frame had stretched measurably.

Denis

rich642z

Single-Sixer
DPris,it has been awhile and have you heard of the new Ruger LCR in .357 mag????? To give you a rundown on it,it has a blackened stainless steel frame,stainless[blackened] cylinder. Weight on the LCR is 17.0 ounces. and retails out for $575.00 and I think and know that comparing the LCR to S&Ws Scanduim .357 revolvers,Rugers are going to sell like hotcakes because of pricing on the LCR. Grip frame is still polymer but,hey,what the heck,it will be a buy for me. rich642z,Omaha,Ne. P.S. if you should get one from Ruger in .357 LCR,let us know in your own opinion how it works for you. Recoil and other things. Gunblast.com guy has a vid on the .357 LCR and it shows some recoil but,not much.

DPris

Buckeye
Blue,
The gun still functioned perfectly & was still within acceptable specs.
Few people will put 5000 rounds of +P .38 Special through that gun, and in that context it's not a deal killer.
Those who do put that many hot rounds through an LCR will simply wear it out quicker than those who don't, which is not to say it was worn out at 5000. It could have gone a ways farther.

Rich,
Frankly, just between you & me, I have no interest in a .357 Mag version of the LCR format whatever. :)
Recoil in the .38 was no fun, and even though the Mag version is larger, recoil would be a deal killer in full-bore Mag loads for me.

I'm not knocking it for others, I just have no intentions of ever shooting one myself.

I've carried a .357 in uniform, I own several, I've fired them in numerous brands & frame sizes. I have no use for one that light, I prefer to be able to control the gun in rapid fire & I don't believe I could on that one.
They may sell well for Ruger, but not to me. :D

Denis

luvmylcr

Bearcat
I purchased my first LCR in mid March. After 3 days of ownership, while dry firing, the trigger completely locked. I sent LCR back to Ruger and after one week they informed me that they were sending me a replacement. I never did find out what the problem was with the first LCR but my replacement has performed flawlessly. I have put more than 500 roudns through it with out a single problem and I dry fire it every day to make sure the originanal problem does not happen again. I am completely satisfied with the way Ruger handled my problem and with my new LCR.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Links? Articles? Data? Measurements? Safety Analysis?
5000 +P loads ? How many sessions and length of sessions? Velocity degradation? Cylinder Gap increase? Endshake increase? Which parts wore & how much? Any deformation of the plastic parts?

:?:

DPris

Buckeye
Mo,
Not being a lab, I didn't subject the sample to indepth analysis at the level you're asking for.
Except for the first two sessions, the remaining were 500 each, between 60-90 minutes per.
Did not chronograph.
B/C gap did increase & was measured.
Endshake did increase marginally, but was not measured.
I did not take the thing apart either before or after or measure parts' wear at any point.
No visible deformation of the plastic sub-frame.

The trigger pull lightened, accuracy increased, the alloy frame stretched, the specs for B/C gap remained acceptable, the forcing cone gauged good before & after, there was no flame cutting, the two frames were still joined tightly.

The article has not appeared yet.

Denis