Has anyone ever heard...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jitt

Bearcat
...of people filling there hollow points with powdered salt and sealing it with wax?...i'm not sure but it sounds seriously illegal under the prospect of causing undue pain or borderline torture???...i mean its not just like pouring salt on a wound but the round itself injecting the salt into the wound channel?....it sounds like it would seriously suck.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Interesting concept. Most people use hollow points as they are proven more lethal. So now people want to step back from a "more lethal" round to one that just causes more pain? No matter how you slice that one, IMO it comes up a bad move that will work against you. Sounds like something the back yard Ninja wrestlers came up with during a crack break.

sixgun

Single-Sixer
Don't think it will have the same effect of being shot in the butt with rock salt for stealing watermelons.

Probably go to jail for shooting at kids nowadays...
(especially with our states new celebratory gunfire law)

A hollow point bullet is more lethal if it mushrooms making a bigger hole. A round nose bullet can kill you just as dead.

A

Anonymous

I can't see how this is a good idea in any fashion.

How to you explain this in court?

they been putting "stuff" in hollow points since they came out, way back I recall some using mercury, when it was more readily available.....pieces of tungsten, depleted uranium,, and on and on..................
we knew TWO old farmers that loaded rock salt in their double barrels, learned the hard way , not me, I was able to run faster than some of the others......... 8)

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Heh. I know when I buy bullets the first thing I think of is:

"Should I put rock salt in these and seal them with wax, now that I've already paid for a precision-engineered product?"

It strikes me as a little Turn of the Century...as in the 18th century. Too much time on your hands. If you're interested in handloading, you do it to save money, and so you want to buy pre-made bullets in bulk at good prices and load them yourself and save the brass.

Um, no. I buy them, I load them into my gun(s), and I shoot them according to the purpose of use the bullet was designed for. We have such a nice, wide selection of well-engineered bullets already on the market. I'll make a bet that there are only a very small group of handloaders who even experiment with fundamentally "different" bullet designs.

Maybe if you're in the R&D Department at Hornady...but even then I don't see anyone doing the "wax and rock salt" thing. You're not going to get much rock salt into a 9mm hollowpoint round in any case, and after being hit by one, the bad guy isn't going to be worried about the rock salt.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
After a triple tap with .40 cal. Critical Defense i don.t think the bad guy will be feeling any pain, on the other hand, after getting hit with the HP salt combo. he might be feeling really mean and shoot back.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
My guess is you've not been shot or had other serious trauma. Salt on a wound sucks because most of those wounds we get salt (or lemon juice) into minor cuts suffered while cooking and such.

The amount of salt you could put in the HP cavity is trivial. By the time the initial shock of the impact subsided, the blood flowing out the wound channel would dissolve and flush powdered salt. If you put a piece of halite (rock salt) in there, the majority would likely depart with the buulet via the exit wound.

Think about this: lots of guys got shot and then ended up in the ocean (think sailors and pilots). Salt in those gunshot woulds did not incapacitate them.

If you really want to get into terminal ballistics, take up bullet casting and then experiment with alloy composition and HP size and shape.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Guy getting shot...............

"OUCH, what the hell you put in that thing, salt?!?!"

:lol:

Seriously?

Pretty sure the pain from having a piece of brass and/or lead entering his body at +- 1,000fps would negate any pain he'd feel from a little salt added to it.

Sounds fairly stupid to me.

jitt

Bearcat
i thought it was stupid when i heard about it...although mercury or d.u. sounds like it would be worse if you survived the shot and died an agonizing slow death later...when laser guns come out it will be the end of caliber wars and the beginning of red vs green...oh wait,lol

Verndog

Blackhawk
jitt said:
i thought it was stupid when i heard about it...although mercury or d.u. sounds like it would be worse if you survived the shot and died an agonizing slow death later...when laser guns come out it will be the end of caliber wars and the beginning of red vs green...oh wait,lol

Ya...I don't mess with any of that kinda voodoo...but I do have a small green frogs with bright red dots lick my hollow points for good luck. :lol:

ShannonNVA

Bearcat
I seriously doubt that you could tell the difference if you were shot with a hollow point with salt in it versus one without. But if there are any volunteers out there I could do some testing...

toysoldier

Hunter
The nerves that are sensitive to salt and other irritants are in the skin. Putting anything in a hollow point will only make it less accurate, and probably reduce expansion.

I've fired rock salt out of a gun, and it loses velocity very quickly. I'd guess 15' maximum for even slight penetration of exposed skin. You're more likely to be hurt by the wad.

y2k01hd

Bearcat
What's the point in the salt and wax. I think a .45 Hollow Point will inflct enough "Pain" as is, why throw the accuracy off???? Hmmm