Half-cock safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Dawg

Bearcat
New here, but I have a question. When I first heard of the SR1911, I could swear I read they did not have a half-cock safety. Said they used a titanium firing pin and a stronger firing pin spring to pass the drop test or whatever. I just got my 1911 a couple of weeks ago and mine has a half-cock. Anybody know what's up with this? I ain't complaining, just wondering if anyone else has a half cock safety.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Yes the SR has a half cock notch. Not necessarily a safety per se, but offers a degree of protection if the hammer slips while riding it down with your thumb. Most all 1911's have this. I say most only because someone may come along and say they don't and I hate arguing. ;)

The titanium firing pin and extra power firing pin spring is Ruger's attempt at not having to use a firing pin safety like 80 series Colts and those using a Swartz safety. I think they did a good thing.

Others will disagree. Naturally. ;)

Richbaker

Blackhawk
One should NEVER "ride the hammer down" on a loaded round, that is why the safety is there...... If you don't like to carry with the hammer cocked, get a different handgun.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Richbaker said:
One should NEVER "ride the hammer down" on a loaded round, that is why the safety is there...... If you don't like to carry with the hammer cocked, get a different handgun.
I agree.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
Big Dawg said:
New here, but I have a question. When I first heard of the SR1911, I could swear I read they did not have a half-cock safety. Said they used a titanium firing pin and a stronger firing pin spring to pass the drop test or whatever. I just got my 1911 a couple of weeks ago and mine has a half-cock. Anybody know what's up with this? I ain't complaining, just wondering if anyone else has a half cock safety.
Perhaps you are refering to the Series 80 type firing pin block which the Ruger doesn't have as it is a 70 type series ?

Big Dawg

Bearcat
Richbaker said:

This is common knowledge, especially to someone who has served in the SF community and is over 60.
And I fit into both of these categories.
If you read my OP, I was under the assumption (I know) that what I had read previous to my obtaining the weapon was that they had done away with the half-cock by using a titanium firing pin and a stronger firing pin spring. This may or may not have been the truth. That was what I was getting at. Nothing more or nothing less.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I always find it incredible that folks automatically assume that you're some kind of newb when a question is asked. Here's a perfect example of someone (Big Dawg) who has some experience under his belt asking a simple question and getting treated like he's some kind of cherry recruit.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Actually, my comment was to Slim.... He was the one that made the comment about "riding the hammer down".... BTW, that is also a good way to damage the 1/2 cock notch.

Precision32

Blackhawk
When I went to school the second notch on the hammer was referred to as the "interrupter." It is not intended to be a "half cock safety" and the firearm should not be carried at "half cock." It is there to catch the hammer should the sear slip off the full cock notch without the trigger being pulled.