gun in hotel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

liquid silver

Bearcat
So I am staying in a hotel tonight and tomorrow night in Denver. I don't want to leave my gun in the car.do you guys take it in with you? I don't have my ccw yet.thanks!

Verndog

Blackhawk
liquid silver said:
So I am staying in a hotel tonight and tomorrow night in Denver. I don't want to leave my gun in the car.do you guys take it in with you? I don't have my ccw yet.thanks!

In my state, you cannot carry a gun in the car that is loaded or even unloaded and within reach, let alone into a motel. So, IMO without the CCW the gun needs to left at home.

cthunter

Bearcat
In NM you CAN carry a loaded gun in your car. Take the gun into your room ! Even though you are in Colorado. Just put in a bag of clothes when you are taking it in.

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I would have it in my hotel room with me. If someone should break into your car then it is an easy score and you are out a gun. If the break into your hotel room and the gun is in the car you may loose your life without a chance to fight back. Just my opinion and what I would do.

Matt

robfrommaine

Bearcat
Play it safe. What do the CO gun laws say? if in doubt keep it at home until you get your carry permit. If you get in an accident and your gun is discovered, what then? Could your car get broken into and your gun stolen?

Before I got my carry permit I would stash mine in a locked location in my house, which was checked on daily by neighbors and family members.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Looks lie Colorado has fairly open laws.. From the state patrol...

What are Colorado's laws concerning firearms?

Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)] Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, you cannot carry the weapon concealed on or about your person while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6] The Act permits the nationwide carrying of concealed handguns by qualified current and retired law enforcement officers and amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Pub. L. 90-618, 82 Stat. 1213) to exempt qualified current and retired law enforcement officers from state and local laws prohibiting the carry of concealed firearms

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/StatePatrol-Main/CBON/1251594549010

Sounds like you could "open carry" into your hotel room from that if your comfortable doing that. You likely could conceal carry in empty and bring ammo separately.

dhazel74

Bearcat
I work in a hotel and I would recommend,

1.Not leaving it in your car
2.Unload before you enter the hotel
3.Ask at the front desk agent for a safety deposit box
4.Take the box to your room,put your pistol in the box and return it to the front desk.
They will give you a key to the safety deposit box....(don't lose key) and you do not have to say anything about the contents of the box.

Hope this helps
David H. :)

Jon54

Bearcat
dhazel74 said:
I work in a hotel and I would recommend,

1.Not leaving it in your car
2.Unload before you enter the hotel
3.Ask at the front desk agent for a safety deposit box
4.Take the box to your room,put your pistol in the box and return it to the front desk.
They will give you a key to the safety deposit box....(don't lose key) and you do not have to say anything about the contents of the box.

Hope this helps
David H. :)

Sound advice!

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
You might be overthinking this. It's your gun and you have every right to have possession of your property. IMHO, transporting it to your hotel room is the same as transporting it to the range, to or from a gun shop, out in the woods, or anywhere else for that matter. I'm pretty sure that carrying a gun in it's case to and from a location isn't what's meant by concealed carry.

pisgah

Buckeye
In most states, having a gun in your domicile is legal. In may states, mine included, a hotel room is considered your temporary domicile. Legal advice -- check CO law. Practical advice -- stick your gun in your bag, take it in, mind your manners while you are there. No one will ever be the wiser. Checking in to a hotel is not like checking in to an airline flight -- yet. No one is going to x-ray your luggage.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
I hope that all went well with your Hotel stay in Denver. For future reference regarding gun laws and open carry I suggest:

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/open-carry

The city and county of Denver are very different than the rest of the state with regard to open-carry. It is NOT permitted to open carry in Denver, Arvada and Breckenridge.

The rest of the state is agreeable with regard to open carry. I'm sorry I did not see your post earlier and respond earlier.

Colorado gun laws as a rule are pretty easy to live with, but you REALLY need to be careful in Denver.

Take care, Viking Queen

welder

Buckeye
ILikeRugers2 said:
ECUfan said:
I never stay in a hotel room without mine.

+1

That said I'm in Texas, and have a CHL.

+1. KY and have a ccw as well.
My firearm, to me is tantamount to a smoke alarm. I will not sleep ANYWHERE with either missing. Legal or no. I would make it a point to avoid any state where I would be in undue jeopardy with my choices. Currently striving with SHMBO over a trip to Chicago for this very reason. Years ago I would tow the mark and leave it at home, not know. YMMV

ArmyDrQuinn

Bearcat
i strongly recommend getting your CCW. Check to make sure which states you can carry with your states' license, and abide by the state laws in the state you reside and/or visit. for instance, I have my Missouri license, and i cannot carry into illinois without unloading and storing in a locked container seperate from ammo (which should be locked up too), but kansas, i believe, respects missouri licenses and vice versa. Make sure to abide by state laws. I don't like the open carry idea, because someone may pay attention and get a hot head and try to take it/ your life anyway. There's no element of surprise. The whole point of the CCW is the element of surprise. if someone wants something, they'll try to take it, and having an ace in the hole is a major deterrent. Just be smart.

liquid silver

Bearcat
Hey guys thanks for all of the replies.I appreciate.of course I took it in with me and all went well. I should be receiving my ccw sometime this week maybe.then I don't have to worry lol.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it.... you really need to know CO gun laws if you live there, regardless of having a CWP.

Not that it is pertinent to CO, but in S.C. your hotel room is your residence and so it is not only legal to have it in your hotel room, but perfectly legal to transport it from your vehicle to and from that room either concealed or open.

Personally,can't figure out why you would not keep it in the room with you regardless of the law. (this last comment would get me either sanctioned or kicked off of a number of forums)

mn_doggie

Bearcat
PiratePast40 said:
You might be overthinking this. It's your gun and you have every right to have possession of your property. IMHO, transporting it to your hotel room is the same as transporting it to the range, to or from a gun shop, out in the woods, or anywhere else for that matter. I'm pretty sure that carrying a gun in it's case to and from a location isn't what's meant by concealed carry.

Every right to have possession of your property?

That argument works great on school property, airplanes, post offices, courthouses, etc., if you want to get free room and board for a few years.

Latest posts