Great Horned Owls are back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
Lifts my heart to have them out here every evening
This big rooster is body size about the same as a young adult bald eagle, crows & magpies steer a wide berth around that nest and there are feathers from both crows and magpies remnants of those who did not understand, "don't screw with Mrs Owl when she is on the nest"

Hi That is awesome I haven't seen one here in at least 25 yrs I know they are around I just haven't seen one we have a lot of Bard owls I love to listen to them at night

Gramps

They are beautiful creatures! Years ago, when Linda and I were first married and lived in an apartment, there was one that used to land on our porch railing. He was so 'friendly' that I could actually feed him. He loved hot dogs. Never got photo of him though.

Spleenless Dave

Single-Sixer
That's cool to see. Owls are fascinating creatures. Growing up at Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri, I'd walk down the gravel road a mile or so from a friends house at night to head back home, and could hear owls hooting off to my right in the trees. Spooky sounding, but you knew they weren't going to hurt you unless you were wearing a squirrel hat.

Taterman

Buckeye
I'm glad they are around to keep the critters in check. I hear them all the time here but almost never see them. The only time I did was when one large one flew straight down our street and under the streetlight. Dang thing looked like a hang glider! Huge!

Taterman

Buckeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
Good news. I like it when a pair hunts at night, of course, and they call back and forth. They move around and must have a "plan". 8)

True! :)

I hear a pair of them around here calling like that.

Don Lovel

Hunter
We have a bison ranch on the place next to us and when the baby owls left the nest last year, their first stop was hunting in the buffalo pens and many times I would see them sitting on the pipe fence waiting on dinner to run under them