GP100's as Carry Tools, not BBQ Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
20230613_012638.jpg

I have a fair amount of Ruger wheelguns, some of them are pretty with Rosewood Hogues, or nice Letts, etc. But some of them are for utility . I put Hogue Nylons on my 4", to keep the Letts from grabbing my shirt and some out of production Pachmayr Compacs on the 3".

20230612_162248.jpg

I was carrying my 4" DAO GP100 today, one of the Canadian police trade ins that I bought years ago. I had put Large Letts on to give the now 30+ year old , tired compact Letts a break. I was walking into a restaurant and thwacked the gun against a door jamb after getting drenched by torrential downpours. I had a shirt covering the gun for concealment. Still, carry is a harsh environment for guns , so I needed to put tough grips on. So I went to the "grip pile" for these.

20230613_013530.jpg

The old, fragile Letts. The one wood panel has a crack on the inside. These have kind of become like old Diamond S&W Magnas , they're worth probably 25% what the gun is. I don't need to bang them around.

20230613_012727.jpg

My Don Hume leather for the 4" , that hides nicely under a Large Long button down and the 3" works well in an Elite IWB that protects it from sweat, since I'm a sweat-er in the summer and my carry guns pay the price in IWB leather holsters by being saturated.

I love Hogue Nylons, I have a set on a S&W 67 but they are the best after lots of hand wear gives them a "glossy" look and feel.

Hogue makes great grips. Rubber and wood. No reason it can't do both EDC and BBQ duty. Grip swap should be under 5 minutes. A nice carved and edc holster and 2 sets of grips. And you're in business.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Hogue makes great grips. Rubber and wood. No reason it can't do both EDC and BBQ duty. Grip swap should be under 5 minutes. A nice carved and edc holster and 2 sets of grips. And you're in business.
Hogue woods are probably the best overall grip ever for the GP/SP, I have the no-fingergroove Rosewood Laminate Hogues on another GP and they are absolutely perfect for shooting and they look great on stainless . I have XS sights on this gun and the Hogues in my hands bring the gun right up for both eyes open match type shooting

The Hogue Nylon are a little grippier and a good utility grip. I already once today smacked my Hogue Nylon wearing SP101 off the door frame of my car getting in, eventually wood gets beat up in OWB carry . The Nylons just eat whatever you throw at them

BearBiologist

Buckeye
:unsure: :unsure:I never considered the GP100 a BBQ gun! Mine was always a "duty gun", used while guiding until I discovered large bore Blackhawks (back in the day...)

I had/used a GP-100 with 4" barrel, when I first became a deputy sheriff. Carried OWB in a Don Hume leather holster. If humping over hill and Dale pulling up MJ plants, I carried it in an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster. I kept the original Lett grips. They fit my small hands great. That was the most accurate gun I have ever owned. I SOLD IT when I needed money a long time ago! Sigh!!!
gramps

hittman

Staff member
I have a Don Hume IWB for my 3 inch fixed site GP.
Don't carry it much. Never in summer months …. Occasionally in winter when clothes are bulkier.

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I bought a 3" fixed SS GP100 back in the 90s, $219. IIRC. Was told it was a Canadian trade in. S-I-L and I both have one. I carry it in daily activity from time to time but it mainly serves as a deer lease/ ranch carry piece. Quick on and off carried in Bianchi 5HBL and a S&W cartridge belt.
A 4" blue AS model seldom sees daylight as the compact grip of the 3" is my preference.

I guess I'll show my BBQ GP's:

This one is the Royal Phoenix (a fairly rare Lipseys gun that they had Ruger make to compete with the Python)
DSC_0125.JPG
DSC_0169.JPG

This one was case colored and the barrel, cylinder and trigger guard reblued by Bobby Taylor.

Both are gorgeous guns.

And, YES, I do have several "carry" GP's. My GP-100's are, for lack of a better term, my secondary collection, after my Six series DA revolvers. I only have about 25 of them.