Gp 22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
This is Ruger's first serious DA .22 target revolver. For that purpose 48 ounces is ideal but 5 or 6 ounces less will make it more attractive to folks who want to carry it around with them. I like it at 5 1/2" just because that's a traditional Ruger barrel length. I will buy one. It's only a matter of whether I believe that I have to grab a new one or can wait for a less expensive used one.

It's too bad Ruger is 40 years late adding a revolver to their catalog that fills this nitch. My guess is Ruger drug their feet for a year hopping some normalcy would return to .22 LR cartridge availability and pricing. In my area you can easily find the cartridges again but boy you sure do have to pay for them.

I wish Ruger the best and look forward to trying one out.

I like the barrel length, but would prefer a full lugged barrel. Just personal preference I like that profile better. BUT! This will not stop me from getting one. 22 double action revolvers are lots of fun. I bet this one will be more accurate than the shooter. And heavier guns just point better and don't wiggle around as much...for me anyway. Net result: I like it. Thank you Ruger

eveled

Hawkeye
Anybody having thoughts of reaming it out to .22mag? Who will be the first?

rangerbob

Buckeye
I read the review on Real Guns yesterday and was glad to see this one materialize. They were showing it months ago on Ruger inside and out. Since I have a 6" standard barrel 10 shot M617(K22), I may or may not get one. I'd like to see the same gun with 4.2" barrel done up as a Match Champion clone, particularly with those stippled Hogue grips. It'd be the 10 shot M618 Smith never made. They guns are not listed yet at the distributors, but I'm guessing around $650-$675 dealer costs. I'm fairly certain one could not wear out this GP-100 in several lifetimes of shooting and/or all of the 22 ammo one could find. Bob!!! 8)

reakin

Single-Sixer
Been waiting for one of these for years! I really wish they had gone the extra step and included the scallop cuts for Ruger scope rings. But still, I forsee one in the stable...

Talked to two larger local dealers today, their distributors had no stock yet and
no expect dates. One of the shops thought their retail would be about $640-$650
range. The other felt closer to $675 bracket.
Neither one would accept a deposit from me till they had a better estimate
on when it would ship.
They suggested I call em back in about a week.
Dave

rangerbob

Buckeye
Some good news. Dealer price on the GP-100, 22LR model is well under $600. Only time will tell when they will become available. I just got off the phone with my sales guy at Lipsey's. I'm still trying to get a 6.5 Precision rifle, a Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger, and a Glock M40. I was looking for a 4" m617 for a client. No luck on any of them. Bob!! :(

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ruger can't deign to give us a carry size six shot .38 Special, but they can give us a .22 that weighs almost 4 pounds? I love Ruger but their wheelgun offerings just keep getting further and further away from what I want.

FergusonTO35 said:
Ruger can't deign to give us a carry size six shot .38 Special, but they can give us a .22 that weighs almost 4 pounds? I love Ruger but their wheelgun offerings just keep getting further and further away from what I want.

...and closer and closer to what I want, and what I've wanted for a long time.. :mrgreen:

I see the majority of new offerings aimed at the carry market, while ignoring much of the shooting market.

Guess ya just can't please everybody, every time.

WAYNO.

It appears to me to be the same marketing thought that Ruger typically comes out with. The first one will be 5-1/2" to get every one excited, but once that slows down the 4.2" will come out and get everyone worked up again. I believe the 4.2" will be the most popular but they will sell a lot of the 5" just because it's there. But I've been wrong before. I believe I'll wait for the 4.2 since I have single sixes, and the SP101 and others. Does this mean they think 22 ammo will become more prevalent???

Rclark

Hunter
Too big a gun for the lowly .22 in my opinion. SP-101 would be be a better platform. Of course, I like Single Actions and the Single Six fits me perfectly. However, my Single Six is now hibernating due to lack of .22LR, but that's another story! Those that have been looking for the GP-100 .22 though... Enjoy!

noahmercy

Blackhawk
This is definitely at the top of my wish list. This would be an excellent tool for introducing newbs to DA revolver handling and shooting. Zero recoil or muzzle blast, and I'm willing to bet it will shoot right where it's pointed (every Ruger DA I own is a more accurate than I am). Can't wait! :mrgreen:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Finally! I was tired of waiting and was about to buy a 617 for my Christmas present. Now I won't, but I would be even happier if it came in full lug.

Jim

32magfan

Blackhawk
I am glad they finally got it out. I saw the Ruger:Inside & Out show months ago. I have my Dad's Colt Officer's Model in .22LR. It is on a 38 frame so could have 10 or more holes in the cylinder. Too bad they thought they all had to be "six-shooters" back then ( I know some smaller revolvers were only 5 if that's all that would fit).

I will have to have one, no doubt. I have bought several .22 revolvers lately, including a 317 3" eight shot and a 4" SP101 with the skinny barrel and fiber optic front sight. Last year, I bought a S&W model 18 that I really like a lot. I also have two older SP101s from the 90's, a 2" and a full lug 4".

I have stated seeing more .22 ammo for sale but there is a new price paradigm from what I have seen. 8 to 10 cents per round seems to be where most retail prices fall. Some bulk is down around 6 cents so $30 for 500 rounds is now cheap??? I might be shooting more 32 Longs and H&R mags that I load with home cast bullets. :wink:

I hope I can show some restraint and not go after the first one I see... Ah, forget that. Where do I swipe the credit card??? :mrgreen:

32Magfan

Latest posts