GP-100 v.s. Security/speed/service six in strength

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rhatimi

Bearcat
Hi all
Was looking at some posts of Security/speed/service six's on the forum and was wondering how they compare to the GP-100 as far as strength and durability. Also what was rugers reason for dropping this line of revolvers? they seem to be the perfect size for a .357 mag and for a revolver that is not much larger than an sp-101 and offers an extra shot.

thanks

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
I am no expert, but as I understand it from reading around RF, the Security Six was to expensive to make and yet be profitable.

Those who know better feel free to correct me if I am off base here.

DLH

rhatimi

Bearcat
Ya i Figured they had better finishes on em, even the ejector rod looks nicer, and I like the look of the full scallop on the right side. Over all just a better lookin gun.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I'm inclined to agree with the idea that they were too expensive to be
profitable at their price point, in "Ruger & His Guns" by R.L. Wilson, Bill
Ruger Sr is quoted to that very fact, My copy is in a box somewhere or
I could quote you the page number as well.

rhatimi

Bearcat
As far as their mechanical workings are they any different from the gp-100? I guess what im trying to ask is if they are built with better materials to drive cost up? also which one (gp or speed) would hold up better after long-term use with .357 mags or do they exhibit equal strength?

Blue Brick

Bearcat
The major cost in any project is labor. The GP100 required fewer steps. Strength should be similar.

maxpress

Buckeye
i would probably just by measurments and looks think that the speed six and security six are right in between a k and l frame smith and use standard 357 loads in mine. i wouldnt be afraid of a steady diet of monster loads in the gp100 however.
the speed and service six are sweeter packing and handling though.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Used to own 357 Magnum Security Sixes; now I own GPs and (still) one Redhawk 357 Magnums.

Oddly, the Security Six now feels "small", and the GP "just right".

The Redhawk feels "big" :shock:

mattsbox99

Hunter
I agree, I have a Security Six and a few GPs, the GP feels "just right" and the SSs feel "small".

I think the Security Sixes look a little awkward to be honest, but I also think Colts look really awkward and tons of people like them. I think GPs and Redhawks are great looking revolvers, along with all of Ruger's single actions except for the Montardo.

As far as a the small (K/L frame) 6 shot .357s, I think S&W has the look down, and I have a few of them.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
There is no difference in strength between the Security/Service/Speed-Six line of revolvers. They are all the same mechanically.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Blue Brick":3ari31fz said:
The GP is stronger; more is more.

It's a small marginal difference.The GP100 has a slightly more meat under barrel threads.

Blue Brick is exactly right! Ruger only came out with the GP100 to compete directly, in the market place with S&W's new L-Frame but, not because of any weakness in their Security/Service/Speed-Six revolvers-as these were designed from day one, to continuously fire the .357 magnum rounds-unlike the S&W .357 K-Frames which were just beefed up .38 Special revolvers-which had required S&W to develop their L-Frame, due to durability problems, in this scenario!

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
The Speed Six, Service Six and Security Six family of guns are pretty much identical in strength and seems to me to be just right for the 357 round in a carry gun. It was Ruger's first double action revolver.

I believe the Wilson quote of Bill Ruger posted by 45flattop is correct. There are also some who say that the thickness of the metal of the sixes frame between the barrel threads and the cutout for the ejector rod was too thin for the comfort of Ruger engineers. Others say that production costs, not production problems led to the demise of the sixes. Those suggestions are not incompatible with each other.

It is undeniable that the ability of the sixes to handle full-power .357 magnum loads is unquestioned. Also unquestioned is that the GP100 family is stronger than the sixes. There is the thickness of the frames, but also even more thickness between the ejector rod cutout and the barrel threads because the ejector rod (and its cutout in the frame) is offset from the centerline of the cylinder. That provides much more metal between the barrel threads and the ejector rod cutout.

The GP guns are significantly heavier and bulkier than the sixes, great for hunting revolvers, not so much for duty revolvers or concealment arms.

In concealability, my 2.75" Security Six feels just about halfway between ,u SP101 and my GP100 (though it is 4", I am estimating the feature).

In strength, my lay opinion would put the strengths of the SP, GP Sixes and .357 Redhawk in this order

SP (i don't know)
Sixes (full-power service loads)
GPs full-power hunting loads, silhouette shooting, etc)
Redhawk (pushing the limits of credibility)

The lockworks of the Sixes, GPs and Redhawk are all different. The SP is very similar to the GP internals.

Lost Sheep

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi,
I have both a Police Service Six and a GP100. My GP100 looks beefier and of course heavier. But just like others said, the Security/Service/Speed Six series came out to compete against the S&W 19/66. They were made so a person could use any factory 357 round made then. The Smith K frame was just a modified 38 special revolver. The K frame was never design to shoot 357s all the time. The Security Six was. Whey the Security Six was discontinued will always be unclear. Bill Ruger claims they did not make any money on the line. But the other reason could be that Ruger just did not want to go with two SA/DA revolver lines. And of course the GP100 was cheaper to make. Also the GP100 competes directly against the Smith L frame. I also had a S&W 686 and I always considered the GP100 stronger. In my opinion the GP100 is probably the strongest medium frame DA/SA revolver ever built.

Regards,
roaddog28