Government clarification??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
Auction on Gunbroker has a Competition Slabside listed as a Government model. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=411944094 Seller claims his description is accurate. What do the experts say? :?:

hittman

Staff member
Govt models are marked U.S.

Competition Target Models were introduced by Ruger as the civilian copy if I remember the story correctly.

But, it's almost a clip vs. magazine argument. Many folks don't care about "specifics".

9x19

Hunter
I'm no expert, but I'd say his price negates his description... it wouldn't sell for anything close to that around here.

I think you'll find the wording of "Government" on several models of the MK II target guns, they used "G", "GC", and "GCL" at times , the "L" being the 'Lipseys" model, so would be 'correct',,, the "U.S" marked guns are government "contract" guns.
Just like the Colts semi auto 1911 and A-1, they are NOT all "made for the government" but are called ,by their model name "Government model"................. :wink:

and with all the mentioned 'extras' is at TOP dollar, he's a bit of a 'dreamer" for a "used" gun 8)

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a "Government Competition Target" model. His description is correct. And as noted,, the actual government issued guns will be marked U.S.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have a few MK II's and never have given much thought as what the the letters on the box meant. Most say competition target or target on the sides of the adjustable sighted models. I have never touched an actual US marked Goverment model but have seen them in pictures. I have seen and held what I believe most people associate and think of when they they see a Government model for sale in an ad or auction. It is a Ruger MKII with a 6 7/8" full bull barrel marked Goverment Target Model on the right side of the receiver. They look like this.

Ruger is in the business to sell firearms, not to make things easy for the collector/classifier, and they don't. What's in question is two separate and distinct Ruger models. I'll only address the stainless versions.

First is the model 00185, catalog KMK678G. It is roll marked "Government Target Model" on the right side of the receiver. Ruger has always maintained that this model received some special treatment. Most commonly cited are special sighting and chamber treatment.

The second is model 00186, catalog KMK678GC. It is roll marked "Competition Target Model" on the right side of the receiver. Ruger has never claimed that this model received any special treatment different from their regular target models, other than the receiver roll mark.

I think many people believe that the "G" in the catalog number is for "Government". I have seen nothing from Ruger to indicate this but I'm open to evidence. IMHO it's just as likely that it stands for bull barrel since the catalog number for the 6 7/8" tapered target model is KMK678.

Ruger has been consistent in using the "C" to indicate a slab sided bull barrel, so the "C" doesn't stand for "Competition". :)

The bottom line is that you can state anything you want or cite any sources (real or imagined) you wish when advertising an item for sale. It's up to the buyer to sort them out to his, or her, satisfaction. Based on what I see, or don't see, in the pictures with the ad, I would be uncomfortable with the price.

chet15

Hawkeye
And the U.S. marked MK678G model was not marked "Government" model.
Ruger used "GOVERNMENT TARGET MODEL" on the receivers of their "civilian" model as a play in salesmanship to the public.
Chet15

Chet,

I have never seen a catalog '678GC' pistol with a factory target. However, as near as I can tell from the pictures in the ad, the serial number on the target matches the receiver. Were there some pistols that came with a target other than the 678Gs?

HSG

contender

Ruger Guru
There were some older blued "GC" guns that came with targets. A friend of mine has one. I own a gun, but I can't recall if the target was still in the box when I got it.

chet15

Hawkeye
Hmmm...that would be a first (a target included with anything other than a "G" model), but not surprising.
Those guys at the factory handle thousands and thousands of guns a month....after a while I imagine trying to keep everything straight starts turning into a blurrrrrr.
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
chet15, if this is an "interesting" thing, I'll get my buddy to dig his gun out & see if I can totally verify everything. I I recall when he got the gun many years ago, and recalled seeing the target & thinking it was an "extra" item not usually seen in Ruger boxes. When I got mine, I don't think it had a target in the box, and I wondered where it went.
Looks like I need to do a little research.