Got a cull buck I wanted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Today,,, the weather was doing like I wanted,, and I saw a small buck early. But I've got my preferences set on a few specific deer. Gotta love game cameras,,, as they allow you to study the herd, and select the deer you might want to harvest.

There's an older buck,, bigger body,, and yet, only a 5-point rack. He's related to one I took last year. Well, today, about noon, he decided to feed in my area. Apparently,, he hadn't gotten the word that a T/C Contender was to be afraid of. One shot, dropped in his tracks.
Fresh sweet meat for supper tonight.
P1040428.JPG

Last edited:
I'd say you made a good choice. By outward appearance, that's a 3(or more) year old. Did you tooth check his age?
We've been watching a couple of small racks here. So small that I've been cautioning the kids about shooting one while mistaking it for a doe. These little dudes have tiny forks about pencil size and are often feeding with groups of does/fawns. With the abundance of food and such, I'd expect to see at least a thin 6 point rack at 1.5 years old but these two bucks are certainly underachievers.
With our current 'one antlered buck per year' rules, it's asking a lot to expect someone to spend that opportunity on such a small rack knowing that a big buck might be just around the corner. We'll see what they look like next year OR maybe Grouch Attack pops one later this year-she doesn't care about rack size.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've been working on culling deer for a while here. I have seen how it has improved things. I'll be getting his jaw bones out to age check him, AND send one in to the state for them to check. I'm on a program with them about this. I too guess him to be 3-1/2 years, but we'll see.

Congratulations I watched 5 different bucks all summer 2 of them wall hangers the bigger one a super 10-12 point I have hunted hard and they have disappeared I finally took a spike horn for the freezer with the bow I have had plenty of opportunity to shoot does but still hoping for a big one to come along funny this is I have never taken a deer with a hand gun and almost every opportunity this year has been within 20 yrds maybe its time

contender

Ruger Guru
I used my faithful 7x30 Waters caliber.

Funny, I hunt mostly with a handgun and consider a rifle cheating around here. I extend my season by hunting with a crossbow or a muzzleloader before the gun season.
I allowed other deer to walk awaiting the ones that were on my target list.

I have plans for a different gun and caliber if things work out. I have until January 1st.

contender

Ruger Guru
Venison has been the main staple at my house for about 40-45 years now. It's the main reason I hunt. But just like the first years of hunting,, I do still enjoy the bigger racks & hope to get those smarter, older guys! (Plus,, they are usually a bigger body,, and have more meat!)
I dread the day I get to the point I can't hunt anymore, if I live that long.

Latest posts