GOOD GROUP WITH THE MAXIE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Although I do own & shoot a few scoped handguns I have always much preferred iron sights for all my shooting needs. I have taken a few animals with my scoped guns in the last few years including a cow elk with my scoped 44 Super Red Hawk, a bull moose with a SRH 480 & a 4X3 buck about 5 years ago with a scoped 7 1/2" SBH, every other animal has been taken with iron sights & that includes a whole lot of animals, everything from elk, deer, antelope, bears, mountain lion, hogs, etc, down to many hundreds of small game animals.
Like many who are well over 60 years old I sometimes have a serious need for a scoped gun when hunting, if a deer or elk is standing in dark timber or its very early in the morning or sundown in the evening I have had to pass up shots on several occasions because I can't see the sights. Even then I've stayed with iron sights 95% of the time because I like the look & feel of a good single action or double action gun without a some what akward scope on top.
Two years ago I took a cow elk at a lasered 168 yds with an iron sighted Ruger OM 45 colt, a 260 gr cast slug & a healthy dose of H110, the cow was standing in 18" of snow & the sight picture was very crisp & clear, under different circumstances I would have passed on that shot at much closer range because of sighting issues & old eyes.
Of all the guns in the Ruger line up there are almost none that are capable of clean kills out at the 200 yd mark..........perhaps the 41, 44 & 45 but there is one more lurking at my house, the 10 1/2" 357 Maximum with a 205 gr LBT wide nose. My load is 18 grs of 4227 & a magnum SR primer, while this is not a maximum load in the Maxie it should be worked up to in anyone's gun, never jump on some one's else's load without a work up!
This combination with a scope on top just might be the answer for an old fart from Idaho on the occasion when the distance is long & the sight picture is fuzzy.
With this in mind I made a call to Dan Galuppo way back in New York & quizzed him about his no drill scope mount, Dan told me he had over 9,000 rounds of full power 44 magnum loads through his SBH with absolutely no change in zero, I had to try one! Not wanting to drill or tap my gun was high on my list of scope mounts & after putting the mount on my gun using Dan's very detailed instructions I think this is really going to be the raspberries for long range hunting with a revolver. After installing the mount I added an Ultra Dot red dot scope (no magnifaction) & headed for the range. After a few sighters I settled in & shot this 5 shot, 1 3/4" group at 50 yds off the bags, not bad for zero power, I was very impressed, the mount & scope worked great & Dan at Edge Custom has a winner on his hands. Frankly I'm still amazed at how well it works & I'll continue to pound a lot of ammo down range in the next 2 months, many will be at long range, I'm a happy man :D

My Maxie with a very nice target shot using the new no drill mount from Edge Works & the Ultra Dot scope at 50 yds.

100_2062.jpg

Close up of the target, this is going to be a dandy setup for big game.

100_2063.jpg

Close up of the scope mount & scope, very neat, tidy little package thats going to ride very well in my Barranti shoulder righ this fall, I'm ready!

100_2064.jpg

Dan can be reached at his website or call 315-662-7531.

Dick

Papa

Bearcat
I've had mine for a couple of years now. I recommend them every chance I get. I put mine on my Ruger Buckeye that was reamed out to 327...

100_2916.jpg

I really like this 2x Swift scope and it's cheap!!

Papa

contender

Ruger Guru
I've gotta find some of those bullets to try,,, or at least get the mold & cast some!
Nice grouping, and while I doubt I'd scope my Ruger,,, my T/C barrels in maxi are both scoped!

sixshot

Buckeye
pvtschultz, Dan told me all the loads through his 44 magnum were heavy loads, nothing in the plinking range at all. I believe that, this thing is very well engineered & I have no doubt its going to hold up, I'll buy another one for my 41,44 & 45 guns.

Contender, sorry I forgot to send you some 205 gr slugs, they'll go out monday, I think you'll like them. I'm very curious to see how they hold up at long range, I'm betting they'll be fine.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem sixshot,,, After the last shipment,,, it could be interesting. However, this time may not be so interesting. Still haven't gotten an answer about the other item from my PM. Funny story though,,,!