Going to Get My First 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After much deliberation, I have decided to crack and get a 10/22.
I have been wanting to get a .22 for a while for the cost factors involved (cheap ammo) and for something the kids can shoot when they don't want to shoot my bigger caliber stuff.
At first I was considering some of the Colt type .22s because they look pretty cool, but after further consideration, I decided that the 10/22 would be a better bet.
What really tipped me over is the M1 Carbine conversion. I am really digging that. I also figure that I can get one of the "tactical" style stocks down the road and switch to that for something different.
And all of the aftermarket stuff kind of sucked me in as well. I like to tinker and if I can install trigger groups, and other mods to make it a little more accurate, it would be fun.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Your kids and you will really enjoy the 10/22. A real quality firearm and a hoot to shoot. The rifle certainly lends itself to an infinite amount of tinkering. It also shoots pretty well right out of the box.

Cripes! What a recruit trick... I posted this in the wrong forum. Meant to post it in the rimfire section.
Can a mod move this please?

Yep, the way to buy a 10/22 and especially the first one is to get the basic simple one with no frills... either used or new from a store.... that way you can work toward what you want or at least think you want.... then of course when the bug really bites you is about half way through that project and you realize you need a 2nd 10/22 .......

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Good trigger smith:
http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/
Does great bolt work:
https://sites.google.com/site/custommachiningjewelingservice/
My Babies:
Walnut1022.jpg

10-22TD.jpg

mikep048

Bearcat
To the OP, congrats on your choice. I am seriously considering trading my Remington 597 in for a 10/22.

To jjmIII, great looking babies.

Chief 101

Hunter
No finer choice for small game and tincans I have an older carbine and new TD models which wear 4x scopes and the 3 mag unit. Other than that no other mod are needed. Mine shoot extremely well and are extremely durable. Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for the replies.
I will be getting one in about two weeks. I am getting it new for $209.99. Best deal I have found in town. I figure I will order the M1 Carbine kit and Techsights and while I wait for that stuff to come in I will head to the range and burn up some ammo.

m657

Buckeye
I'm real interested in the m1 kit too....especially the sights.

Good grief.....suddenly I just can't get enough 10/22s....!!!! Can barely wait for the TD...and them little Mannlicher versions are way too appealing...and this M1 kit business just is toying with my affections....

M3Stuart

Bearcat
I have been shooting 10/22s for some decades and it has been a ton of fun. I've been the NRA-certified shooting instructor for my son's Boy Scout troop for the last several years and there's nothing like watching a group of boys on the firing line blazing away.

We shoot a lot of different 22s, but most are some variety of 10/22. The guns are just bulletproof. "brick after brick" as I say - that's how much we shoot them.

I have recommended the Ruger 10/22 to many of the kid's dads when they asked me about buying a gun. And I know that many of them now own 10/22s as a result.

Get one, you can't go wrong. If you change your mind you will be able to recoup your invesment with ZERO problem.

Latest posts