Get Them While They Last . . . .

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
The way I figure it, buying 5 factory mags from CDNN comes out to just shy of $23 each when ya add-in their $9.99 "flat shipping" charge. Still though, that's cheaper than anywhere else that I know of, and about half of what buying from Ruger would cost.

About those "OEM brand" 20-rounders though....have you had any experience with them yourself?...
I ask that because every aftermarket Mini-14 mag that I've ever tried turned out to be nothing but junk, so lacking any positive input from someone who actually knows, me thinks that I'd much rather just pay the extra $8 and get a known-good commodity.

Thanks.

DGW

COSteve

Single-Sixer
I don't have any experience with the OEM brand, however, on PU they get decent reviews. Some say that swapping in a Ruger brand follower will make them much more reliable but I don't have any experience with that either.

DGW1949

Hunter
Hey Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
I reckon that I'll just stick to stacking the Ruger mags.

DGW

rufrdr

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
The way I figure it, buying 5 factory mags from CDNN comes out to just shy of $23 each when ya add-in their $9.99 "flat shipping" charge. Still though, that's cheaper than anywhere else that I know of, and about half of what buying from Ruger would cost.

About those "OEM brand" 20-rounders though....have you had any experience with them yourself?...
I ask that because every aftermarket Mini-14 mag that I've ever tried turned out to be nothing but junk, so lacking any positive input from someone who actually knows, me thinks that I'd much rather just pay the extra $8 and get a known-good commodity.

Thanks.

DGW

I bought 4 of the 10 round magazines O.E. magazines from CDNN. Three work flawlessly, one is difficult to seat but once in works ok. I paid about $10 each for them at the time. I'd try the O.E. 20 round magazines in a heartbeat if I didn't reside in CA.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer

I bought 4 of the 10 round magazines O.E. magazines from CDNN. Three work flawlessly, one is difficult to seat but once in works ok. I paid about $10 each for them at the time. I'd try the O.E. 20 round magazines in a heartbeat if I didn't reside in CA.[/quote]

I wish i could have 20 rounders(MASS). but I found that the new 10 round mags from Ruger are very good.
I had a few from 2012/2013 that fit horribly and Ruger acknowleges that they had a problem with a vendor that was producing badly fitting mags. I just bought 2 more new ones of 2015 vintage and they work perfect. Order some new ones now and you'll see that they are excellent quality and fit.

Major T

Blackhawk
I have some 6-7 OEM 20, several from CDNN. They work fine. Also 2each 5 rounders that I use almost exclusively for ranch carry (pigs, coyotes, porcupines) leaving the bigger ones in reserve for other things.

Jack

CORRECTION: My magazines from CDN are all marked as Ruger factory stuff and they do work.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I just got 2 10 round Ruger brand magazines and both have a fit problem when loaded. One won't insert with 10 rounds but will with 9. The other won't even insert with 9. In both cases the bolt was closed. It seems that the spring is very tight and I can't put enough force on it to rock them into place when the bolt is closed.

DGW1949

Hunter
groberts said:
I just got 2 10 round Ruger brand magazines and both have a fit problem when loaded. One won't insert with 10 rounds but will with 9. The other won't even insert with 9. In both cases the bolt was closed. It seems that the spring is very tight and I can't put enough force on it to rock them into place when the bolt is closed.

Ruger has had a lot of problems with their 10 Rd Mini-14 mags. I'm not even sure whether they still offer them or not, but I do know that many of the on-line vendors no longer fool with 'em.
You might try locking the bolt back before inserting the mag. That often helps. If it don't the mags you have most likely has the catch-tab positioned wrong, or the locater-hole in the front is either punched wrong or in the wrong place. Neither is uncommon.

Perhaps a call to Ruger's Customer Service is in order.

DGW

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
Aren't you supposed to load a mini 14 with the bolt OPEN?..... this is the case then any amount of bullets in the mag would be difficult to load.

DGW1949

Hunter
mrmike7189 said:
Aren't you supposed to load a mini 14 with the bolt OPEN?..... this is the case then any amount of bullets in the mag would be difficult to load.

That's the way I do it.....and yep, it makes things a lot easier.

The manual can be a bit confusing on that point.
In one place, it says that inserting a higher capacity magazine will require extra force, and the accompanying illustrations clearly show the mag being inserted while the bolt is closed.
However, in another section, it says to first lock the bolt to the rear, then insert the mag, and then to pull the op-rod fully to the rear before letting it go to chamber the first round.

DGW

Cordite

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
In one place, it says that inserting a higher capacity magazine will require extra force...

Bring a bigger hammer... :D

I had a mini-14 Ranch for a while that did take more force to load a 20 round mag with the bolt closed but it was doable. As others have noted it's much easier to lock the bolt back first.

Cordite

groberts

Single-Sixer
mrmike7189 said:
The manual says it can be done either way. I bought this rifle for home defense and, therefore, want to keep it loaded. But I don't want to keep a round in the chamber.