Geezerly advice on 22's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IMHO, Everyone should own a suppressor and at least one each rimfire rifle and pistol host.
The process is aggravating and the wait time is totally unreasonable but the overall expense isn't much more than a weekend vacation(maybe less depending on your tastes).
Don't wait on the HPA cause it's not going to happen. Don't put it off because that just adds time in the long run. Just do it and forget about it (not a problem for me since I forget stuff all the time) until one day you get a call from your dealer and it's almost like Christmas---suddenly TADA, there it is.

Jeepnik said:
As to owning a silencer. If I could I sure as heck would.

For many years, when they were not allowed in MN, I "had to have one." :x

Now that they're allowed, I seem to have lost all interest.

Apparently, it was just the allure of forbidden fruit, to me... :p

9x19

Hunter
I bought my silencers on my trust before the rules changed, partly because the rules were going to change.

I enjoy them, and don't want to sell them, but they are not as necessary as some of their fans declare.

What I have found to be necessary, for me, when using them on a rifle, is a shorter barrel... which leads to a whole other set of forms (or pistol braces - for now).

"but they are not as necessary as some of their fans declare. "

Lots of things that aren't actually "necessary" but are extremely enjoyable.
In some cases, discreet is the key to success in the varmint removal business. Now, I'm not making that sort of thing a business as Contender does but I do provide some limited services free or in return for hunting, fishing, or trapping access. Being able to use a firearm w/o causing concern of neighbors or even the recipient of the service is very handy at times.

woodsy

Blackhawk
After looking at controlled testing of the good effects of silencers, I am not so anxious to get one, since they don't do that good a job. Especially compared to the ridiculous portrayals in movies, where a .45 sounds like a cap pistol. (Take a look at the last 30 minutes of "The Manchurian Candidate", in which a silenced revolver !, barely goes "pop".)

Back in the early 2000's, there was an obviously sick raccoon outside of the hospital where I worked. The local PD came and shot it, with a silenced weapon since I didn't hear it, and no patient was even aware the deed was done.
gramps

"After looking at controlled testing of the good effects of silencers, I am not so anxious to get one, since they don't do that good a job."

I respectfully beg to differ. There are many variations and designs so of course, some work better than others. I'm using a couple of rimfire suppressors (designed and built legally using Form 1 applications) that, while not "silent" are very quiet.
When used on a bolt action rifle, the sound of the striker impacting the primer is louder than the sound of the shot. A 4" 22lr pistol is 100% "ear safe" and in most hands more accurate than w/o the muffler. The somewhat biting crack of a 17HMR is reduced to a very acceptable level as is the 22WMR. Even a .223 w/factory ammo no longer makes the shooter's ears ring.

Chief 101

Hunter
do they make an ankle holster that can handle one of thems? maybe 44special with suppresser?

Guess there is a difference in being a "geezer" out in the sticks, versus in town,,,,,I am and have YET to find ANY good reason for any silencer...........ben there ,done that cleaned more of them than I care to think about,,,AND yet ANY .22 short or subsonic does the job for what this geezer may ever have the need for 8) :roll: :wink:

aside from being on ANOTHER "list" of potential "hazardous"? items ,someday :shock:

"After looking at controlled testing of the good effects of silencers, I am not so anxious to get one, since they don't do that good a job."

I have to disagree also, and not just because I sell suppressors as part of my business. I bought several before I decided to sell/transfer them for my customers.

I have shot a .300 Win Mag with a suppressor with full power loads and only needed a set of earplugs. With a reduced loading, you still needed the earplugs but just barely.

I have a SIG 516 SBR (5.56mm, 7.5" bbl) that when suppressed I can shoot with very light protection (although I wear earplugs or muffs because of the others shooting around me if at the range).

Even the experts tell you to wear some type of hearing protection when shooting with a suppressor, it mitigates the noise, it does not eliminate the noise and they do help protect your hearing and helps lessen the noise for those around you that you might not want to disturb.

NO suppressor is EVER going to be Hollywood quiet, it just won't happen. That said, with the .22 suppressors I own and demonstrate (including the Silent SR from Ruger), on a SR22 with subsonic ammo, you get less sound than that of a pellet gun. Put the suppressor on a rifle with supersonic ammo, as Mobuck stated, the sound of the firing pin hitting the cartridge rim is probably louder than the report of the ammo with the exception of getting the sonic crack and even that is lessened.

Most "controlled" testing is usually one suppressor company comparing their suppressor to someone else's and I take them with a grain of salt. There is one good comparison that rated .30 and .223 caliber suppressors that I trust, and is pretty comprehensive: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/07/ttag-contributor/largest-30-caliber-silencer-testing-event-ever/

woodsy

Blackhawk
I suggest that people look at the May 2019 issue of The American Rifleman, specifically at their test of the Ruger Silent-SR ISB suppressor. That suppressor has a length of more than 16" (!), and still will only reduce the sound level by no more than 29 decibels, to about 114 decibels, which is WAY more than the sound of a pin hitting a rim. That is MUCH too loud for most suburban neighborhoods. And that does not address the supersonic crack, or the POI shift.

Well guys I don't know what brands of suppressors you've been using but I'll put my $50 design against any factory made under $300. The sound of subsonic ammo through the suppressed RAR is nothing more than a metallic "clink". With ear protection, there is no sound. W/o ear protection at least you can hear the "SMACK" of the bullet hitting the steel downrange.
With a dedicated can, I have reduced the muzzle signature of full power 17HMR to less than the sound of a long barrel 22lr rifle with stand velocity ammo. Full power .223 through a dedicated can is approx the sound of an unmuffled 22lr mostly due to the supersonic bullet's signature. No ear ringing muzzle blast.

I don't own one but was able to shoot a CZ .22LR bolt action using
CCI subsonic ammo.
It was very quiet. Shooting outside you could hear the guns action
and see then hear the pop cans get hit.
All kinda strange initially.
Dave

The government won't let me have one... seems the FBI feel I am a risk to the public. They don't have to give a reason just stamp denial on the application repeatedly.... $500 plus dollars lost back in 2011.

I guess it's just one of the things I can either 'btch' or brag about.

contender

Ruger Guru
Back in the early 1900's,, there were a few firearm companies who offered a suppressor as an accessory to a production firearm. Winchester, advertised them as a "chicken coop gun," if I recall correctly.
Modern designs have come a long way,, and as such,, there are many excellent suppressors out there. There is also some that do not work as they should.

I've had the good fortune over the years to have tried & used many different brands & designs. I've even had the honor of visiting a plant that makes them, (AWC) and testing some. I've shot a fair number of them in many calibers,, from .22 LR up to .50 BMG in a Barrett.
No, they are not Hollyweird quiet,,, but at the same time, many of them can come close. It all depends upon several factors. From the design of the suppressor, the method of mounting it, the action design, the type of ammo, to name a few.
Many LEO dept's use them for various jobs. Animal Control often uses one (as mentioned above,) to be able to not disturb the public. Tactical teams use them to assist in their various apprehension methods. The military uses them to prevent the enemy from locating them.

Practical use? Not as many of the general public can claim a NEED for one. Even in my job,, it would be a limited application. Why? I'm not allowed to discharge a firearm in city limits by most city ordinances.
Yet,, there is a practical use for them in the general public.
Gun ranges often get "noise complaints." This can assist in mitigating that issue,, allowing gun ranges to coexist with development.
Hunting is another use. The noisy discharge can disturb other animals when more than one target is allowed & legal. (Hog hunting comes quickly to mind.)
Teaching shooting to new people. Noise can scare newbies,, especially ladies.
And it has a health benefit in that by reducing noise,, you are helping protect your ears from damage.

So, they are a good tool when properly used.

Sadly,, they got lumped in with full auto firearm in the 1930's,, and really wasn't necessary. Add how Hollyweird has made them APPEAR to the public,, and it's hard to get the laws changed. Throw in the legal mumbo-jumbo hoops you have to jump through,,, and the attitude the anti's have,, makes it hard to overcome. Many folks feel it's just not worth the hassle.
The facts do not support the fears & attitudes most have towards them.

But they do have their place & should be allowed,, w/o such a hassle.

Latest posts