Gas ring stretcher

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
On another forum I heard mention of a Brownells device that will lengthen the nub on the front of a single action cylinder.
Does anyone have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with this device,or possibly own one?
Thanks in advance...

contender

Ruger Guru
I had one at one time. It works. I just didn't need to keep it,, and someone else needed one. But it only moves a small amount of material,, so if you have a large problem,, the gas ring stretcher won't work.

...over the years we would weld it up, put a piece of 1/4 in brass or bronze rod in the center pin hole weld around it, sometimes you could simply "tin" the surrounding flat end with solder. or now days they offer "shims" but the only time we ever used shims we glue them on and recut them, nothing like any small parts falling out at the range or on a double action revolver the shim "splits" and screws itself around the inside of the cylinder , and into ,under, the yoke (upper crane leg)..........seen it happen:cool::cautious:

CBH44

Single-Sixer
I have one. Works as advertised. The hard part is fitting the cylinder. Easy to over do ever so slight metal removal on gas ring.

Screenshot_20240124-100202~2.png

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I had one at one time. It works. I just didn't need to keep it,, and someone else needed one. But it only moves a small amount of material,, so if you have a large problem,, the gas ring stretcher won't work.
I only need .014",Brownells says max is .040"...

ditchdr

Bearcat
I have one. Works as advertised. The hard part is fitting the cylinder. Easy to over do ever so slight metal removal on gas ring.
@CBH44
Would you be willing to rent it out or sell it? I'll even give you what you paid for it. I've been looking all over for this tool with no luck. Brownell's still lists it but I think it's been OOS for quite a while.

CBH44

Single-Sixer
@CBH44
Would you be willing to rent it out or sell it? I'll even give you what you paid for it. I've been looking all over for this tool with no luck. Brownell's still lists it but I think it's been OOS for quite a while.
You can borrow it. Just pay shipping both ways.

Latest posts