Galloway Precision Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey guys, pics to come soon after my camera charges. But I got the holo sight in the mail today. Won't be until next weekend that I can use it. Unit looks solid though, GP's part is just the adapter plate, pretty simple, but just right. Will have pics later tonight sometime.

Josh

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
let me know all about it!
how high is it from the top of the slide to the middle of the glass?

i have had this kind of setup once before and it was ok. iw as going to buy a glock and have them machine out the top slide for this same kind of thing.
actually i was going to have the sight machined into the slide and recessed a bit with suppressor irons in front of it so it kind of co-witnessed...
that was going to cost me an arm and a leg so i would like to know as much as i can about this as it will fit in my budget a lot better!

my only concern is how high the optic is off the top of the slide.
from Eric's pictures, they looked to be pretty darn low for that type of setup.
i am rather impressed with his system there.

really looking forward to your review!

jhearne

Buckeye
@Gunsby_Blazen, it's about .725 (±.025"). Measuring things freehand doesn't yield the most accurate results.

It's a very low profile, 2 piece design. The dovetail adapter is a steel piece that fits into the Ruger SR9 sight dovetail. Machined into the adapter is another smaller dovetail to adapt the JPoint optics. I recall Eric mentioning that the dovetail is the same spec as a Glock's factory cut so you can also install other optics/sights if you wish(?).

I might be able to shoot it tomorrow as I got it installed tonight. Wasn't too bad to do, just had to take care not to damage my factory sights. Will need to get it close and dial it on in when I go. In the pics I took, I left the battery out, I'm unaware how fresh it is, but don't have any readily available to replace it if it dies on me. It does work and light up the glass as it should.

The JPoint snaps on and bolts into the aluminum plate that fits the steel adapter plate. There's a cover for the entire optics piece that's handy if you keep it in a range bag most the time. There's no ON/OFF switch so I believe you must remove the optics to take out the battery, unless battery drain is so minute that you could afford to leave it on 24/7 and check it regularly. I don't know about that, but it's a concern. A bit bulky for duty around the house, but for a range/competition gun, it should be perfectly adequate.

Link to Photobucket album.

Josh

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i see clearly now
i was familiar with sort of what Eric was talking about but your pictures make it clear as day. a pretty good idea for an adapter plate.
i have used the Burris Fastfire in the past and it was nice.
i plan on getting one of those rear red-dot sight adapters when they hit the market and will most likely just use the JP sight like you are testing out.

nice pictures and thanks for the info!
that is about as low as it could be without doing some custom work (and i want to avoid that)

GREAT!

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah, I've handled some design work myself, but I can't imagine getting the JP any lower without doing real custom work. It's simple and it should work well. Will try and get to the range tomorrow, no guarantees.

Josh

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Hey Josh looking good, thanks for doing the review. I got the mount as low as possible without machining the slide. I think it will work really well for those that want it.
Josh the optic will turn off once you put the cover on. The brightness adjusts to ambiet light so it works best outside but works well indoors to. The battery will last about 6 weeks without the cover on ever. Don't ask just trust me. The RMR units will go over a year with out a battery change on all the time. But batterys are cheap just like the Jpoint.
Anyways enjoy everyone,
Eric

gulf979cb

Bearcat
This product look absolutely spectacular.....

I NEED one of these when they are released...
Nice product as always.

Keep us posted on Availability

Gosh..... i would love to test things for you!!!! :)

martinj001

Single-Sixer
Very nice! Galloway is well on the way to making the SR series a competitive race gun! Might need to get myself one just so I can dedicate it to that! :)

EdgeSR9

Bearcat
martinj001 said:
Very nice! Galloway is well on the way to making the SR series a competitive race gun! Might need to get myself one just so I can dedicate it to that! :)

That's what i'm doing to mine,almost there. :D

gulf979cb

Bearcat
jhearne said:
@Gunsby_Blazen, it's about .725 (±.025"). Measuring things freehand doesn't yield the most accurate results.

It's a very low profile, 2 piece design. The dovetail adapter is a steel piece that fits into the Ruger SR9 sight dovetail. Machined into the adapter is another smaller dovetail to adapt the JPoint optics. I recall Eric mentioning that the dovetail is the same spec as a Glock's factory cut so you can also install other optics/sights if you wish(?).

I might be able to shoot it tomorrow as I got it installed tonight. Wasn't too bad to do, just had to take care not to damage my factory sights. Will need to get it close and dial it on in when I go. In the pics I took, I left the battery out, I'm unaware how fresh it is, but don't have any readily available to replace it if it dies on me. It does work and light up the glass as it should.

The JPoint snaps on and bolts into the aluminum plate that fits the steel adapter plate. There's a cover for the entire optics piece that's handy if you keep it in a range bag most the time. There's no ON/OFF switch so I believe you must remove the optics to take out the battery, unless battery drain is so minute that you could afford to leave it on 24/7 and check it regularly. I don't know about that, but it's a concern. A bit bulky for duty around the house, but for a range/competition gun, it should be perfectly adequate.

Link to Photobucket album.

Josh

Hey Josh..... Any further updates?? Perhaps a range review in the near future?? Would love to hear more feedback on this beautiful piece...

Keep us all posted...
Thanks...

jhearne

Buckeye
No, not yet. I've been sick all week with the crud and today's no different. I've only left the house to go to work and get medicine and groceries. Hoping for next weekend to be over this junk and get out to the range.

Josh

gulf979cb

Bearcat
jhearne said:
No, not yet. I've been sick all week with the crud and today's no different. I've only left the house to go to work and get medicine and groceries. Hoping for next weekend to be over this junk and get out to the range.

Josh

No worries ....

Get well soon.... can't wait to hear all about this beautiful product.

Just be thankful you have a cold now and not in the middle of the beautiful summer time... get it done and over with.. :)
Take care...

Latest posts