Free-Floating A 10/22 Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vh20

Bearcat
I just got my standard 10/22 Carbine mounted in a Revolution Explorer laminated stock (looks like the Target-model stock, but made for the standard barrel contour). It does not make use of the barrel band, but there is contact between the stock and barrel on the underside of the barrel. I was thinking about free-floating it as you would for any center-fire rifle to improve accuracy, but got to wondering about stability. For those who have the Target model - is it free-floated from the factory? Does the receiver mount solidly-enough to support a free-floated barrel? Thanks.

mhg

Bearcat
My understanding on this subject is
Don't Do It
Aluminum reciever will not support the weight of the barrel
Just something I read somewhere
Mike

wwb

Hunter
vh20 said:
.........For those who have the Target model - is it free-floated from the factory? Does the receiver mount solidly-enough to support a free-floated barrel? Thanks.

The receiver doesn't "mount" at all.... the screw holding the whole works to the stock is in the barrel, not the receiver. A close inspection will show that there really isn't any decent place to mount the receiver to the stock.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
wwb said:
The receiver doesn't "mount" at all.... the screw holding the whole works to the stock is in the barrel, not the receiver. A close inspection will show that there really isn't any decent place to mount the receiver to the stock.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ahh, all 17 of mine have barrels that are retained by a barrel block held tight by two bolts. The entire assembly is then held to the stock by a single bolt which threads into the lower forward area of the receiver not the barrel. There's no screws at all threaded into the barrel. Insert a stripped receiver into the stock, tighten the bolt and you still have plenty of threads before getting into the barrel shank.

Now while I've heard the tales of the "barrel droop" mhg is referring to, I've yet to witness it first hand and have floats many a barrel without issues. One is indeed the 20" heavy profile steel T barrel. Yup, no droop. ;) As to doing it with your new Revolution stock (one of my favorite brands by the way), shoot it first and see. Some set-ups shoot better floated, others with some stock pressure point. I certainly wouldn't worry about it with the standard profile barrel.

wwb

Hunter
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Lesson here.... don't talk about a 10/22 when there's a 96 on the bench, and your brain says, "10/22 is the same."

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
If you remove the bump at the front of the barrel channel and float the barrel you'll probably get rocking of the receiver in the stock. The mounting bolt acts as a pivot point. The way to do this properly is to bed the first 2 inches of the barrel in front of the mounting bolt (might as well bed the receiver as well). Ruger designed it to have some up-pressure on the barrel.

Lots of good info on bedding a 10/22 can be found at rimfirecentral.com, here's one: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195425

BlkHawk73

Hunter
wwb said:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Lesson here.... don't talk about a 10/22 when there's a 96 on the bench, and your brain says, "10/22 is the same."

Now maybe I'm missing something, but I do believe the 96 receiver is VERY close to the 10/22 and has the same single attatchment point which doesn't thread into tthe barrel either. 96 barrels can be used on the 10/22. Done this and no threads. It attatches with just the single barrel block.

wwb

Hunter
It was a 96/44... not a .22 (but I'd sure like to get a deal on a 96/22). The 96/44 has a dovetail cut on the bottom of the barrel with a female threaded insert in the dovetail.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Gotcha, had figure since this was rimfire you were in that mode. Yup, I like the design on the 96/44.

vh20

Bearcat
Thanks, Armed and BlkHawk. I was looking for some bedding info specific to the 10/22, so I'm looking forward to checking that link out. I had intended to bed it if possible, but there wouldn't have been much point if you couldn't float the barrel. I had heard of precautions against it, but had my doubts about their validity. BlkHawks experience seems more in line with what I would expect. I can also see where bedding the first two inches of the barrel could be a good insurance policy without really interfering with the barrel movement very much. Anyway, thanks for the info - that's what I was looking for.