Found a MKII, blued, 5.5 inch bull barrel - Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ridge Runner

Bearcat
I passed on the Ruger MKII 50th anniversary and found a MKII, blued bull barrel with adjustable sights at the same store for $309. I can not find anything wrong with the pistol (99%), so I put it on a 5 day hold.

I am leaning towards the bull barrel. The price seems great for it and it looks brand new. It has been shot, but looks very clean. No box and only 1 magazine.

Can I go wrong? What are they going for in your area? What should I closely inspect about it?

rsi705

Single-Sixer
+1 on snag it

You may, emphasis on MAY, find another cheaper but it will not be in 99% condition unless someone just does not know what they have.

I really enjoy my bull barrels. Started on a MK I bull, added a MK II bull, added another MK II bull in government, added another MK II bull in stainless. You get the idea. I like my standards as well but the bull is always my go to for the range plinking and target.

Grab it, you will really enjoy I suspect.

By the way all of my bull barrel MK IIs eat the cheap Wally World Federal all day long.

rsi705

Single-Sixer
To answer your question about what to look out for. In the condition you say it is in I cannot imagine what to look for. All of mine were bought used and the Mark I was very used. Took them home, cleaned them and have shot them all quite a bit with no issues. The Marks are tanks in my experience so if all the parts are there and it cycles you should be fine.

I assume the shop is reputable so if you do find a real problem they will at least fix it for you.

By the way if you are anywhere near Dallas, Texas and decide not to buy it please tell me where it is so I can buy it!

TxGun

Bearcat
I agree with the other responders. I'd definitely go for it. The price is not outstanding, but it is reasonable for a 99% gun, IMO.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Personally, I rather have a Mark II in stainless. But I think $309 is a good deal. You can't buy the comparable Mark III for that and most believe the Mark II is superior.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Just for reference, my Mk II, 5.5" bull bbl, blue, cost $260 before all the fees and taxes. 10 yrs ago. That was in CA, so probably $10 to $25 more than folks could find 'em elsewhere.

When the MK IIIs first came out, I saw similar very good condition used Mk IIs going for only about $10 less than brand new Mk IIIs.

Seems the neighborhood has a lot to do w/ pricing...

That said, I'd pay that price for the Mk II described in the OP w/o thinking too much about it. Here, at least.

Rick C

good deal go for it...remember, the early, first MKIIs, that came in the yellow fold up box,had ONLY one magazine,later, with the grey case, they included TWO magazines............they are readily available......

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
In the condition you say it's in........go for it. The good to excellant Mark II's in that sort of condition are getting harder and harder to find. I'd say that's a good price.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Ashamed to tell you what I payed for this one some years ago. It had at least two or more previous owners before it came to me. Hard to tell how many thousands of rds through it. Did replace the extractor a few years ago but it's still going strong. :)

CopyofPicture346-1-1.jpg