floorplate on m77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
IF I understand your question, with the floor plate "latched fully" there is play when you push the floorplate toward the stock?????

Tighten the middle trigger guard screw a bit, and try again. A little play should be OK, but if it rattles, then the middle TG screw is not tightened enough. At least this is what I do. Never had this issue not resolved this way.

sp

Single-Sixer
I have epoxy bedded many M77's and usually the last part of the bedding job is to refit the floor plate.

I take it the floor plate can be securely locked up into the trigger guard but there is an excessive gap (see daylight to some extent) between stock and floor plate.

Try reinletting the trigger guard. Use a 1/4 inch razor sharp chisel and carefully stroke off real thin (paper thin) layers of wood testing the floor plate fit after each layer is removed. This will place the TG deeper into the stock enabling the floor plate to fit tighter against the stock. This will also work for plastic stocks.

When the job is finished both TG screws may be reasonably and consistently tight or torqued up.

The Ruger M77 bedding screw systems looks good but in comparision with
other rifles, M70's, M700, Mausers they require more work to fit right usually after epoxy bedding and always after restocking.

I take it that a M77 in MS is subject to heat and humidity followed by drying and that could be a contribution to your problem.