Finally tightened the loose receiver on my Mark I

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've lived with a loose receiver for many years. I finally decided to try and do something about it tonight. Rather than peen the lug, or crimp the frame sides (both of these sounded like something I might regret if not done just right), I decided to just put a shim in the recess of the receiver. I folded over pieces of aluminum foil until I got a nice snug fit. It no longer rock and rolls when assembled.

file.php

Good job, goes back to the"old" days of using a matchbook cover in the same place,,,works ,,,..........sames goes for an old business card....just tear off a piece of the slim cardboard,,,lasts till the next time you take the gun apart....hell I still know folks that have NEVER< EVER, taken their old "standard auto" RST or Mark I apart, to this day........really no need to......they can be completely cleaned without it.....

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Pat-inCO said:
Wharz de pix?

Well, I posted one.

OK, I didn't post a picture of it apart. I suppose I could tear it down and take a couple pics if it is of a lot of interest to folks. I assume most of you have seen a Mark taken down.

valvestem

Bearcat
I have used an aluminum soda can shim in one of my older Mark pistols too. Works great. When I got it, someone had already "dimpled" the cutout in the barrel, but it wasn't working anymore. I was reluctant to use the squeeze the barrel method, so tried a shim, it worked.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
My buddy has a bunch of shims. I might measure the stack of foil and cut a shim based on that. Perhaps put a small dot of epoxy or CA to keep it in place.

valvestem

Bearcat
cowboydave said:
Could someone put a pic up showing where exactly that shim goes? thanks
It goes into the squarish hole under the barrel where the frame lug goes into and you move the barrel back to seat it on the grip frame.