Family portrait.............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
No particular reason for posting except to demonstrate size differences: Ruger Super Blackhawk, Single Six, and Bearcat:

As I look at my newly acquired Bearcat, I think of the Smith & Wesson No.1 or No. 1 1/2 Tip-Up revolvers. Those little Smiths were popular with yankee officers during the War Between the States, and they only had the .22 Shorts.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
Actually Don Roberto, the BEARCAT is a very close copy of a small Remington pistol.

And so it goes...

I understand that, but the cylinder of the Bearcat is, as I recall, about the same size as a No. 1 S&W tip-up. My thinking was that such a small cartridge/revolver combination was considered a defensive arm in those days.

WIL,
You just reminded me of a near-forgotten episode from my Army days. My first sergeant got permission for us to hunt on a nearby ranch, near Camp Roberts, California. The restriction was we had to use black powder revolvers. His was a customized 1858 Remington in .44 caliber. (Custom barrel, adjustable sights, slicked up action.) He loaned me an 1849 Pocket Model Remington, .31 caliber. This little gun was stock. We went to the range on the base to try out the guns prior to going hunting. As I recall, that little Remington was a five shot affair, with spur trigger. At fifty feet, I got one shot (out of the first five) in the black, one clanged against the target frame, two failed to five, and one just spewed smoke and sparks!

He killed two ground squirrels, and I fired about ten shots that day.

Bob Wright