Do "they" make a 1911 conversion kit...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

...like the ones in .22LR, but chambered in 9mm. rather?

The kits I'm referring to are offered by several major manufacturers and include a complete, slide, barrel, guide, spring assembly as well as a couple magazines to get started.

Here is just one example of many:

GER1911CONV-1_zpse0mnuf9u.jpg

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Rock Island makes the full gun for right at twice the cost of a conversion
and STI makes one for $450. Saves having to swap it back and forth.

OOPS! The STI . . was . . listed on one of the gun sales web pages,
but is now listed as "sold". Sorry.

I am seeing several on Bud's Guns in the $550 range.

dakota1911

Buckeye
The problem with some 1911s is the ramp is different from 45 ACP to 9mm. Now if the gun in question has a ramped barrel then switching out the entire top end from 45ACP to 9mm should work. Pretty sure one could find the right size ejector that would work with both, although one might have to change that out also.

I think it was the May/June issue of American Hangunner where they had a Tussey Custom on the cover. With four different top ends and a couple extra barrels he did .22LR, 9mm, 38 Super, .40 S&W, 357 SIG and .45 ACP. I think he mentions in there that he got tired of the project so did not do a 10mm barrel to add that also. Interesting read and it might be available online.

dakota1911 said:
The problem with some 1911s is the ramp is different from 45 ACP to 9mm. Now if the gun in question has a ramped barrel then switching out the entire top end from 45ACP to 9mm should work. Pretty sure one could find the right size ejector that would work with both, although one might have to change that out also.

I think it was the May/June issue of American Hangunner where they had a Tussey Custom on the cover. With four different top ends and a couple extra barrels he did .22LR, 9mm, 38 Super, .40 S&W, 357 SIG and .45 ACP. I think he mentions in there that he got tired of the project so did not do a 10mm barrel to add that also. Interesting read and it might be available online.

I'm sure all that stuff is different in a .22 also. Yet there they are, "kits" ready for you to purchase.

Hence the term, "kit"... Or rather "complete kit"

The difference between a .22 and a .45 are "night and day". Some of those conversion kits run flawlessly.

The difference between a 9mm. and .45 are, also, "night and day". No reason not to have a "complete kit".

Ok smartass, I'll go tool up for one. Just let me take out a loan to start manufacturing. I suppose you would be willing to put your money where your mouth is and fund this little project? ;-)

pendennis

Bearcat
Even .22LR "conversion kits" aren't always "drop-in" ready. I owned a Kimber conversion kit which wouldn't work with either of my full size Kimbers. It worked with a Colt GCNM, however.

It's unlikely that any conversion kit for center fire ammo would be a drop-in. The frame may have to be altered, so the conversion could become permanent.

You'd likely end up paying nearly as much for 'smithing and the conversion kit, as you would to find a decent 9mm 1911.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've posted this here before, but here goes again. I have .38 Super and 9mm Colt made Commander slide and barrel assemblies of Series 70 vintage. They fit and worked well on my .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander frame. As did Advantage Arms, Ciener and Marvel .22 LR uppers. They all work equally well with my Ruger CMD. I can't speak to the differences in ramp angles etc. but those Colt made slide/barrel assemblies work and are as accurate as the .45 barrel. Reliability is nearly 100% with both. The .38 Super, in fact, is more accurate than the original .45 barrel.

The slides are fitted with 9mm or .38 Super bushing and barrels obviously, and of course use different magazines. I may have changed out the slide stop early on with the Colt, but it's been years now and I use the same original .45 ACP one for all the center fire units on the Ruger.

Here's the pic....Rod

edlmann

Blackhawk
Rodfac said:
I have .38 Super and 9mm Colt made Commander slide and barrel assemblies of Series 70 vintage. They fit and worked well on my .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander frame.
I have always heard that the ejector had to be changed as well. I did have a 1911 70-series frame changed to .38 Super years ago, and there was some question about whether the ejector would work with a .45 slide. Never got around to checking.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Just checked....the pic of my CMD with 3 add'l barrel/slide assemblies....the ejector in the gun is the original Ruger supplied .45 ACP part. Best Regards, Rod

Utilizing proper manufacturing techniques, a conversion in any other caliber shouldn't pose an issue (as long as it's a complete kit, built to spec.) Unless you're telling me there are way too many out-of-SPEC 1911s on the market.