DIY GP100 Grip Panel Locator?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jwc

Bearcat
A friend of mine has a pair of older style grips for my GP100, but does not have the Grip Panel Locator for them.

The locator appears to be readily available and inexpensive, but if someone here can tell me the dimensions of the part maybe I can make one myself.

Does anyone have recommendations for making my own locator, or should I just order one?

hittman

Staff member
Maybe measure the diameter of the hole in the grips and the width of the grips ~ then use cold rolled steel? even a wood dowel?

DogBone

Bearcat
The original grip locator is an aluminum plug, it is just under the diameter of the hole in your gun's frame for a snug press fit, and is only as wide as the inside of the rubber grips.

If you have easy access to the correct size aluminum dowel it would probably be very easy to make one, otherwise I would just order from a supplier like Midway.

jwc

Bearcat
My friend had the locator after all. It is .877" long and .438" in diameter.

cwegga

Bearcat
I'm not sure if it is the same size but I've found parts at the hardware store to use as replacement locators for the SP101. It's just a simple tube that is female threaded on both ends. Take a locator in with you and start comparing to junk in the hardware store until you find something appropriate.

stantheman86

Buckeye
You can get them for a few dollars from MidWay, seems like a lot of effort for an easy to find part,and it would be better to have the orginal part IMO.

Since Ruger does not use Lett grips anymore, I wonder if locators will be hard to find soon. All too often I buy a used set from FleaBay,etc and it is missing the locator.