Dies?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FieldGrade

Bearcat
First.....I have plenty of experience with reloading rifles but very little with hand guns and Carbide dies.
I usually just buy ammo for my hand guns but this new 44spec has me rethinking that.

So which dies...RCBS 3 die or Lee 4 die....for a casual plinker shooting cast bullets using a single stage Forster press.

Thanks
Charlie

RSIno1

Hunter
I've always used RCBS. Carbide for straight wall cases. The Lee set uses 4 because they have one to dump powder through for their progressive or a separate crimp die. The RCBS seats and crimps with one die.

kwh

Bearcat
I am a hobbyist reloader and like the Lee 3 carbide dies due to their cost and efficiency.
For a single stage press I would suggest the following:
Resize & deprime all shells.
Prime all with a hand held unit if the Forster does not have a primer arm.
Use the Lee charge through the belling die =2 steps on same die. Lee provides a powder dipper so no worry about missed or double charge of powder.
Use the single Lee seating + crimping die.
If more efficiency is desired, a Lee C-press can be purchased for approx. $37.00. So instead of placing the shells individually in a loading block, and then using the seating /crimp die in the Foster, charge the shells in the Foster then transfer shell directly to the seat & crimp die in the Lee. Cheaper than a progressive press and about as quick.
I like the coated bullets. Less mess during handling and no waxy smoke when shooting.

FieldGrade

Bearcat
Good info guys..........keep it coming.

So far I'm leaning towards the RCBS because I'm familiar with their quality and CS.

PS....I'm only interested in the two sets of dies in my OP.

NikA

Buckeye
For .44 and cast, RCBS wins hands down. .44 tends the need oversize cast bullets (.431-2) due to variations in barrel groove specs. Lee's expander is nice with an automated powder drop but does not work well with properly sized cast bullets in my experience; RCBS will sell you an oversized "cowboy" expander stem for ~10$ that will aid in the loading of cast bullets. I even replaced the Lyman M-die expander that is so popular with cast bullet shooters with the RCBS one due to its more appropriate size for .44. The Lee FCD is also nice but tends to need modifications to work properly with cast bullets.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The Lee 4 die set has the three normal dies, size/deprime, Flare/powder drop, seat/crimp, and factory crimp die. If you are using the FCD, then you adjust the seat/crimp to no crimp. In pistol calibers, the only thing you will get from it is separating the crimping from the seating process, and the post seating resizing. I have gone back to using only the three dies for pistol calibers to open up room for a powder cop die on my turret press. I don't really notice much difference in using the FCD vs seat/crimp in one step. Rifle calibers are a different animal. The rifle FCDs use a collet style crimp. Much superior IMO.

I have a number of Lee dies, all have worked well for me. I have one set of RCBS dies, and they are the only dies I've owned that I had a problem with. It was cheaper to add a Lee FCD, than to ship the set back to RCBS. The customer service rep I talked with on the phone couldn't figure out the problem, and didn't seem eager to make it right. They will be the last RCBS dies I buy. YMMV.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I really like the Lee pro auto disc powder measure and charging through the die for both accuracy and safety. So I use the Lee dies for handgun ammo. But have added added sizing and crimping dies from Redding for some calibers. Redding dies are very nicely made.
I charge, inspect the powder level, then drop a bullet in all in one step. When I come back to seat the bullets I inspect the powder level again.
Question: Does anybody else make a through the die expander that will work with the Lee auto disc.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I have literally thrown Lee dies in the trash because they were so bad I would not sell them. Having said this, Lee dies will sometimes get the job done but I just don't care for them and consider them inferior quality. For straight walled pistol cartridges I have found RCBS dies work best for me, and have never been disappointed with them.

loaded round

Hunter
Redding dies would be my first choice of dies based on my after 35 years of reloading experience. However, there is nothing wrong with buying a carbide RCBS die set. Either brand will last you a lifetime with reasonable care.

loaded round

Hunter
Redding dies would be my first choice of dies based on my after 35 years of reloading experience. However, there is nothing wrong with buying a carbide RCBS die set. Either brand will last you a lifetime with reasonable care.

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

daveg.inkc

Hunter
RCBS do not come with shell holder. Lee dies do. I use both brands. Lee's are cheaper priced. And I like the Factory crimp dies, just doing a dedicated process.

FieldGrade

Bearcat
loaded round said:

Got it...LOL

FieldGrade

Bearcat
contender said:
Plus 1 on NikA's post.

Agreed....He does make a lot of sense.

I couldn't see the advantage of the Lee four die set when using a single stage press but people rave about them and since I have zero experience with Lee dies I thought I ask. Gotta keep an open mind ya know.

Forster are my favorite dies but I've used enough RCBS and Redding dies to have the confidence that either will out last this geezer.

Plus I can buy the RCBS carbide set locally for $50 and since I try to spend my money locally my mind is made up.

Thanks for all the help NikA.....and everyone else.

Charlie