Deciding on a Blackhawk .357 convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DaleH

Bearcat
Thanks for the added input Meeko and K22fan. I think you make good points. I tried finding a Lipsey's 5247 model, which is the flattop stainless in 5.5" barrel. That would be my first choice, but I've stuck out finding one. One local gun store said they will contact me when they can get one, but didn't know how long it would be. If it turns out to be too long, I may buy a regular blue 4 5/8" model.

Dale

DaleH welcome to the forum. We aren a bunch of Ruger enablers. I prefer SS, with a 4 5/8 inch barrel, but when a New Model Black Hawk (NMBH), blued, with a 6.5 inch barrel was found for a good price at a pawn shop, I snapped it up! I added a 9 mm cylinder some years later. An highly accurate gun. Good luck in your quest.
gramps

Major T

Blackhawk
Since you are still looking, consider how you intend to use it. For bumming around the ranch, feeding or tending cattle, I carry a holstered 4.62 SS. For target or hunting work, the 6.5" blue gets the call. Mine are both .44, but that is immaterial to the discussion. Both are flat top medium frames. Holsters for Colt SAA fit like a glove.

Good shopping,

Jack

wideglide

Bearcat
That's the long and short of it. I have both and it would be tough to decide between the 2. I like the 6 and a half at the range more but the 4.62 just fits me better. Get the Stainless, easier to clean and resists rust, plus just looks good.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I see you are in AZ.
Here is a backpage.com ad for Tucson.

Blackhawk, 50th anniversary, .44magnum / .44 special.
5.5 inch barrel, Like new. in the box with all papers. $575.
1 New Model Blackhawk .357, 4.34 barr, blue, wood grips, in box all papers....$550.00
1 Model New Vaquero STAINLESS STEEL, 5.5 barrel in 45 long Colt, black grips. in orignal box with papers $550.00,

> all in EXC. condition, These are my personal Ruger collection, No trades, Private party sale must be 21 and Ariz res.
Angelo 520 471 3244

not my ad, just thought you were looking.

DaleH

Bearcat
Hey Prescut,
I appreciate you letting me know. I think for right now, I'm going to continue looking for a convertible .357 Flattop 5.5" in Stainless steel for a while longer. I have a store that is supposed to let me know if one comes available.

Thanks,
Dale

DaleH, welcome to the forum!

This discussion of convertible revolvers happens often. Instead of providing a link to a previous discussion, I borrowed a little snippet from one of my previous posts. We've all got our own ideas of what works well. :mrgreen:

...one of my all time favorite revolvers, and my most accurate SA revolver of any kind, is my NM Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. For the miniscule 9mm cartridge, it is a tank. I always hoped they'd rekindle the slightly smaller stainless Flattop convertible in .357/9mm, and with the 4-5/8' barrel. I got my wish. Some of these Flattops had serious issues with front sight height, so it took me a little time to get the front sight whittled down to a usable height, so I haven't yet shot it nearly as much as my full size Blackhawk convertible. I expect this smaller version will completely replace the larger one, for my use.

I also have a Flattop convertible in the 45/45ACP with the same barrel length and I'm well pleased. Had a couple chambered in .44 Special, which were also pretty wonderful.

To compare the two, side-by-side, it's not easy to visualize the differences between the two revolvers, Flattop and full size. But in the hand there's a pretty substantial difference, and I really like the Flattop grip frame.

But here, it's easier to see the difference in grip frame sizes, the Flattop being smaller.

WAYNO.

I have a 4.62 inch Flattop satinless convertible in 45/45ACP that I bought from a fellow RF member a few months ago and it is a great shooter in both .45 calibers. IMHO a 4.62 inch barrel is ideal for a big, heavy bullet moving slow. I also have a Flattop stainless convertible in the .357/9mm with a 5.5 inch barrel that I bought from another fellow RF member when they first came out. It is also a great shooter in both calibers and in a barrel length ideal for a lighter, smaller bullet traveling fast. I love 'em both!

DaleH

Bearcat
Hey Wayno,
Great looking Blackhawks! You can really see the difference in the picture of the grips. How does the grip size of the Flattop .357/9mm compare to my Single Six? Bigger or about the same?

Pistolero,
Glad to hear you like the 5.5" stainless model. Hopefully I'll end up with a new one someday.

Dale - AZ

DaleH said:
Hey Wayno,
Great looking Blackhawks! You can really see the difference in the picture of the grips. How does the grip size of the Flattop .357/9mm compare to my Single Six? Bigger or about the same?

Dale - AZ

The Flattop grip frame is still substantially smaller than the New Model Single Sixes.

The Single Six on the left, the Flattop on the right.

WAYNO.

DaleH

Bearcat
Thanks Wayno,
Wow, I'm surprised its even smaller than my new model single six. I would like to get my hands on a Flattop next to a full size and get a feel for the difference. I'm glad you posted that.

Dale - AZ

DaleH

Bearcat
Hey All,

I'm the original poster of this thread and I just wanted to post an update. I picked up my new Blackhawk today!! :D :D
Also, I wanted to again say "thank You" to everyone who replied and helped me make my decision.
Wayno, thanks so much for posting the great pictures to give me a better idea of grip size.

So what did I get?....................
I finally found a Lipsey's Exclusive Model 3247. Flattop, Stainless, Convertible, 5.5" barrel.
I just got it late today and wont have a chance to shoot it for a while, but looking forward to it.
One quick question... The loading gate seems fairly tight to open all the way up. I assume it will loosen up and move a little easier?

Here is a picture of it.
RBH1_zpsxsfb6pvv.jpg

reloader

Single-Sixer
Nice choice! Geat looking gun that will provide lots of fun shooting. You could try leaving the loading gate open for awhile while the gun is just sitting around. Just like some of the new magazines that are hard to load when new, after the springs have been compressed for awhile they get to be a little more user friendly. Hope you get to shoot it soon.

contender

Ruger Guru
Congrats on your new gun! Lube is your friend. Clean the gun, and lube with good oil in all the right places & you'll be fine.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
OR you can do like me and just buy ALL of them. That way you can take your time and decide what one you like best. I find I Like all of them.