Dang I think I hurt my 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scuffler

Bearcat
Ok I'm stupid, I just wanted to get that out of the way, I was putting my 10/22 back together again, and when I put the trigger assembly back together I put the ejector in the wrong way, so I put the gun back together and the mag wouldn't go in, so finally I took it all apart again and after a long while I put it back together right flipping the ejector over, but before that and here is where it gets bad, I couldn't see anything wrong, or so I thought, not identifying that the ejector was put in wrong, so I beat on the pins for the trigger assembly with my vise grips trying to get them to go through cause they weren't going!
My question is do you think I hurt the aluminum reciever cause I was so hard on it, is it going to crack or could it already be cracked? I do not see any cracks but I have crappy lighting right now.
I am so mad at myself for doing this. I should of not tried to force the pins through but was pissed at this point.
This is my first 10/22.
I am just worried that I shouldn't trust this gun now.
Thanks for the replys and sorry for the long post.

I think you must mean the mag. release or such... the ejector is on the bolt...

you might have changed the way the trigger feels, there is only one way to find out. Bummer when you break or even scuff up a gun... but in this case keep in mind it is a 10/22 and out of all the rifles in the world you can screw up... it is probably the best. Anything on it can be fixed or replaced.

the trigger group on the 10/22 is pretty complicated and you need the exploded diagram, at the least, to mess with it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
blume357":3vye5exy said:
I think you must mean the mag. release or such... the ejector is on the bolt...
You're thinking of the extractor. The 10/22's primary ejector is actually on the left lip of the magazine, but it also has a stamped (IIRC) ejector as well.

For the OP, if you don't see anything cracked or bent on the receiver, you're almost certainly okay. Does the rifle function now? If so, I'd say you're fine.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
If it still works I'd bet you're ok...it's hard to break a 10/22. But, let this be a lesson to all of us (including me), if it doesn't feel right, that doesn't mean get a bigger hammer.

scuffler

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply's guys, its an older model and I was so glad to get it.
It is a lesson for me for sure, to walk away and think about it first.
It seems to work fine, I am just worried that I fatigued the metal or something, I think I was beating the pin up against the extractor since it was upside down.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
blume357":89oyajmx said:
...the trigger group on the 10/22 is pretty complicated and you need the exploded diagram, at the least, to mess with it.

I have found it to be just the opposite. It's easy to understand and easy to work on. :wink: