Customized Ruger Mark I model T-512

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I have to show everyone my latest acquisition, a customized Mark I, model T-512, serial no. S 10-94167. The seller said it was part of an estate, and I bought it just because I think it is such a neat looking gun. According to the letter from Ruger, it was shipped in October 1971 and the "S" indicates it was shipped as a factory second.

I asked Chad why a gun might be sold as a factory "second." He indicated that it could have been used as a factory salesman sample, or it may have been on one of Ruger's tradeshow displays. It might also have been used as some sort of government contract or foreign contract, and the guns sent back to Ruger. Or, it could have actually had some kind of factory blemish. Regardless, he did say that there aren't that many "second" autos around.
Full%20Right%20BM%204-21-16.jpg

Full%20Left%20BM%204-21-16.jpg

Serial%20No%20BM%204-21-16.jpg

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Hittman, I bought the "D" gun used sometime between 1967 and 1970. I had no idea what I had until the article in The National Rifleman about the History of the Mark I a few months ago prompted me to try to find out when my gun was made.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Fox Mike said:
THAT is one very nice find!
Thanks. I feel lucky to have gotten it. It had been listed at least twice on Gunbroker with no bids. I sent the seller a PM with an offer to buy it if it didn't sell on GB. About 3 weeks later, apparently after trying to sell it on consignment at a gun store, the seller came back with a counter offer (still much less that the original listing price) that I accepted.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Highstandardguy said:
Any hints on who did the rib? They sure did a LOT of polishing on the upper. It looks like the blueing on an old High Standard.

The bluing is very nice. I did ask the seller if he had any more information about the gun, its history, who did the rib, the patterned (jeweled?) bolt, bluing, etc. He said that he had tried to find out more about the gun but was not successful.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I suspect some die-hard collectors of Ruger firearms might consider the "radical" customization of this somewhat rare S-serial number Mark I an abomination. Since I don't consider myself a "true" collector, I bought it because I think it is very a unusual and special gun even if what has been done to it may detract from its ultimate value to a serious collector.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
BarkeyVA said:
I suspect some die-hard collectors of Ruger firearms might consider the "radical" customization of this somewhat rare S-serial number Mark I an abomination. Since I don't consider myself a "true" collector, I bought it because I think it is very a unusual and special gun even if what has been done to it may detract from its ultimate value to a serious collector.
. Yes somebody ruined a highly collectible firearm. To bad about the vented rib. The bolt can easily be changed. Looking at the S it is the same looking to the S guns I own. It is safe to say it is a factory S gun.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I think I can rightfully say that I now own a "one of a kind" Mark I. I suspect the chances of finding another factory S Mark I, model T-512 with a ventilated rib would probably be the same as winning the lottery.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I know of 2 T512 S guns with the S on the left side of the receiver. Another S gun with the S sufix (not sure where that gun is). Yours being a prefix S is very nice (being it is the only one known at this time) at least we know the number. But it is just a shame about the customizing someone did to it. My opinion it would be worth taking that vent off being its non factory and try to restore to its original condition. By no means would I have passed on it. Its a good gun. It just kills me when some takes a highly collectible and bastardizes it.

street

Hunter
RPM Enterprises said:
I know of 2 T512 S guns with the S on the left side of the receiver. Another S gun with the S sufix (not sure where that gun is). Yours being a prefix S is very nice (being it is the only one known at this time) at least we know the number. But it is just a shame about the customizing someone did to it. My opinion it would be worth taking that vent off being its non factory and try to restore to its original condition. By no means would I have passed on it. Its a good gun. It just kills me when some takes a highly collectible and bastardizes it.

+1000! Those S guns are so hard to find. You would think that before someone made changes to a gun they would do some research on it. Had they done that they could have sold it to a collector and would have made enough to buy another gun and pay for the modification, and maybe had some left over! :roll: And a collector could have enjoyed a very rare gun in their collection. That would have been a WIN, WIN situation.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Street, I agree with you, but I'll bet that the majority of Mark I owners aren't that familiar with Ruger pistol serial numbers and probably would not give the S serial number a second thought.

I have owned my D-serial number Mark I for nearly 50 years, but, until a few months ago, I had no idea that the D serial number is unusual and that my gun might be potentially valuable to a collector. I always assumed it was just a "common" Mark I Target Pistol.

street

Hunter
BarkeyVA said:
Street, I agree with you, but I'll bet that the majority of Mark I owners aren't that familiar with Ruger pistol serial numbers and probably would not give the S serial number a second thought.

I have owned my D-serial number Mark I for nearly 50 years, but, until a few months ago, I had no idea that the D serial number is unusual and that my gun might be potentially valuable to a collector. I always assumed it was just a "common" Mark I Target Pistol.
As I said in my other post. One needs to do a little research on their guns before destroying their value. as in your case you have a very rare collectible and it's a good thing you didn't decide to make changes to it. I once went to a gun show in North Carolina and a dealer had a Taper Ear, 5 1/4 in. MK-I, (T514) on his table for $155. At that time they were selling for $450 to $500. This is another example of needing to do a little research on the guns that you own. This dealer lost $300 to $350 on this gun that day. :wink: Not knowing what he had he even dropped another $5.00 off his $155 price. I guess he thought it was just a common MK-I, as they were selling for $150 to $175 at that time.

I know that I and a few old time collectors keep telling everyone to buy the books and learn about these Rugers and the example above, the T514, has paid for every Ruger book that I have bought. It pays to do a little research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I am much more familiar with vintage shotguns, and I am well aware of how making any changes to a collectible firearm can seriously reduce its value.

Based on the information in this follow-up email from Chad about S "Lightweights," I can appreciate why serious collectors like RPM Enterprises and Street would be so upset about what was done to my bull barrel T-512 (S 10-94167).

..... it was pretty interesting that all the factory "second" auto's seem to be around that serial number range, they are either 6" or the 5-1/2" bull barrel. And three of the four bull barrels are from 10-81038 to 10-93875. The other "S" guns are S10-98270 (RST6), S11-27081 (RST6), 11-46638 (RST6), 11-50401S (T512) and at least 8 RST6 from S12-05721 to S12-08557 (of which only two are known). So all of these exist within about a 2-1/2 year period....there aren't any other "S" marked guns known from 1949 up to the time they started marking guns with a "U" prefix or suffix which was during the Mark II series.

All "S" guns are rare...especially autos and steel framed Single action revolvers. To put it in perspective, there were probably around 273 "S" Lightweights made...of which probably around 15% are known...or somewhere around 40 guns. Granted, the "S" Lightweight sticks out like a sore thumb, but those were also made throughout production of the tri-color.
Chad

radicalrod

Hunter
I own the 6" serial number S11-27081 ....the S is on the left side not in the serial number....the only S marked auto I own....thought I have a few other S marked RUGERS....even one D and S marked :D :D :D RR

IMHO the rib doesn't detract from the gun's "value" any more than the re-blue or the bolt work. It's still a very nicely-done piece and an "S" piece at that. Good score!

It's a nice shooter. Any attempt to restore it to original condition wouldn't change that at all.

:)

gtxmonte

Buckeye
"Ruined" or "bastardized" are very hard words. It's a nice pistol and because somebody did what they wanted to with their pistol doesn't make that the wrong decision. Maybe to some, but not others. Plus you have no way of knowing how long ago it was done. May have been done when it was new and at the time just another Ruger pistol. A second no less, which at that time may have certainly rendered it just a pistol.

I wouldn't try to put it back either........just enjoy it for what it is........a nice pistol