Copper Fouling issue in SS Barrell--how to clean?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stashu

Bearcat
I have a copper fouling issue with a GP100 SS. It only has maybe 125 rounds through it. I am very anal about cleaning my arm and I just cannot remove the copper from my SS barrel. I have tried Kleanbrite #10 copper cleaner and it did not work. Maybe I need to let it soak overnight? I use nylon brushes and never a copper brush. Never a copper brush why? because I'm afraid to since it might scratch.

Question: to those of you who have a GP100 in SS, look at the end of your barrel and do you see lines of copper in the rifling? If not how do you clean it?

FYI--I have been using Win ball ammo at the range.

thanks!! for any comments and help--

Stash

gwnorth

Bearcat
You can use a brass or bronze bore brush with no worries. They are far too soft to ever harm your barrel. And unless you have gobs of copper fouling blocking up the rifling, just don't worry about it (I don't with my guns).

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I use "Sweet's 7.62" bore cleaner in my rifles, a heavy ammonia mix that removes copper fouling like nobody's business.

I also use the foaming bore cleaners for rifles that don't have gas systems.

-- Sam

stashu

Bearcat
Where can one get this 7.62 magic solution? Basspro, Cabelas, ?

thanks!!

Yosemite Sam said:
I use "Sweet's 7.62" bore cleaner in my rifles, a heavy ammonia mix that removes copper fouling like nobody's business.

-- Sam

The copper fouling won't hurt anything. You don't want to leave a strong ammonia based copper solvent in a barrel overnight, the ammonia can etch the bore. I know this because it happened to me. Ruined the bore in a Winchester Model 64A.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
stashu":3e358pme said:

thanks!!

Yosemite Sam":3e358pme said:

-- Sam
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=643582

arfmel":3e358pme said:
The copper fouling won't hurt anything.
Except accuracy. :D

You don't want to leave a strong ammonia based copper solvent in a barrel overnight, the ammonia can etch the bore. I know this because it happened to me. Ruined the bore in a Winchester Model 64A.
I wouldn't leave it in overnight, either. I think the instructions say 5-10 minutes. Sorry to hear about your Winnie.

OBTW, for really stubborn fouling you can go to a cleaning/polishing compound like Butch's Bore Shine.

-- Sam

Flash

Buckeye
Yosemite Sam":29q11m6f said:

-- Sam

Absolutely wouldn't be without it

GP100man

Buckeye
+1 for Sweets7.62 for copper & Eds Red for carbon lead foulin.

I have 1 GP that shoots copper & the rest have never seen copper since leavin the factory.

I let the sweets work 15 min at the time & all i use is stanless brushes & patch on a good jag.

The lead barrels get Eds Red & choreboy wrapped around an old brush& stainless brushes.

Yosemite Sam":selx4nn6 said:
stashu":selx4nn6 said:

thanks!!

Yosemite Sam":selx4nn6 said:

-- Sam
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=643582

arfmel":selx4nn6 said:
The copper fouling won't hurt anything.
Except accuracy. :D

You don't want to leave a strong ammonia based copper solvent in a barrel overnight, the ammonia can etch the bore. I know this because it happened to me. Ruined the bore in a Winchester Model 64A.
I wouldn't leave it in overnight, either. I think the instructions say 5-10 minutes. Sorry to hear about your Winnie.

OBTW, for really stubborn fouling you can go to a cleaning/polishing compound like Butch's Bore Shine.

-- Sam

Sure, heavy copper fouling can affect accuracy, but a little copper color showing at the muzzle like the OP mentions isn't necessarily anything to worry over. I think there isn't much chance that 125 rounds of jacketed pistol ammunition has caused enough fouling to hurt accuracy. If he notices a decrease in accuracy he should break out the copper solvent.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I use Outer's foaming bore cleaner, it works in 15 minutes, I only have to use it once AND it doesn't stink!

You should lap the bore with some JB Borepaste and then you won't have to worry about any fouling anymore.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
With only 125 rounds through the gun you have a lot of breaking-in to do. If shooting copper jacketed ammo just clean with bore solvent (like Hoppe's) and a bronze brush. After shooting swab the bore and cylinder chambers with solvent, let set about 15 min while you clean the rest of the gun and then make a couple of passes with a wet bore brush followed by a wet swab again and then some passes with a clean patch on a jag. After about 500 rounds the rifling should smooth-out with less copper fouling. :D

...Jimbo

paul105

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":nml606zn said:
I use Outer's foaming bore cleaner, it works in 15 minutes, I only have to use it once AND it doesn't stink!

Plus 1 on the Foaming bore cleaner.

Paul

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Yeah, I hear Sweet's is plenty aggressive on copper, haven't tried it yet. My method is just an overnight wet bore with ol' #9. Repeat until no green shows. Slow but sure... :wink:

Pal Val

Buckeye
Why go to extremes with copper fouling from 125 rounds? I would give it a few strokes with a brass brush and Hoppe's #9, run a few patches down until the green gets light and call it a cleaning.

Do some more shooting with that gun, and soon enough the copper will stop bothering you. I'ts a natural process.

ra

Single-Sixer
As others have said, I would not worry about a little amount of copper. I doubt if most shooters could tell a difference in accuracy in a revolver. A accurate rifle is another story, I have had best results with Remington Bore Cleaner. I use the Remington Bench Rest Cleaner that I bought years ago, IIRC I read somewhere that they changed the formula so I don't know about the newer stuff.

ra

stashu

Bearcat
Thanks for all your wonderful solutions to my copper fouling issue. I guess for the most of it I will just clean it normally and maybe once or twice a year do a heavy copper cleaning using Sweet 7.62 or similar.

THANKS!!!

Stashu