Cleaning a Volquartsen comp.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Japle

Bearcat
I have one on my 22/45. I like the performance and the look, but the thing gets filled up with hard-as-a-rock carbon. Nothing I've found really dissolves the stuff. When I was an armorer, we used brake cleaner on M-60 gas tubes and pistons, but it doesn't touch the build-up in the comp.
The best so far is soaking in a good, thin penetrating oil followed by serious use of brass scrapers. Coating the guns muzzle with Molykote keeps it pretty clean, but it doesn't stay on the inside of the comp.

Anyone have a better way?

Hicksville Kid

Bearcat
I have the VQ comp on my 22/45 also. Mine got gummed up just like yours. After a bunch of solvent and overnight soaking with no results, I called VQ and spoke to Scott. He told me that a mixture of 50% Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% vinegar will do the trick. I soaked it overnight and the gunk was softened enough to remove fairly easily.

My biggest question was what type of vinegar to use. The ruler of the kitchen wouldn't let me use Wine Vinegar or Balsamic, so I used white vinegar. Works great. I just saw it on sale at WM for $1.12. The Hydrogen Peroxide was $3 as I remember.

The whole thing fizzed like an alka-seltser, but it worked.

Geo

Bearcat
I would be tempted to try a soaking in a carburetor cleaner that was labeled as a carbon remover. No sprays, get a gallon can of Gunk with the parts basket in it.

22bond

Single-Sixer
Hicksville Kid said:
I have the VQ comp on my 22/45 also. Mine got gummed up just like yours. After a bunch of solvent and overnight soaking with no results, I called VQ and spoke to Scott. He told me that a mixture of 50% Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% vinegar will do the trick. I soaked it overnight and the gunk was softened enough to remove fairly easily.

My biggest question was what type of vinegar to use. The ruler of the kitchen wouldn't let me use Wine Vinegar or Balsamic, so I used white vinegar. Works great. I just saw it on sale at WM for $1.12. The Hydrogen Peroxide was $3 as I remember.

The whole thing fizzed like an alka-seltser, but it worked.

Is yours blue or SS?
I have a blue one and just want to know if that mixture would hurt the bluing.

recumbent

Buckeye
Ultra sonic cleaner from Harbour Freight

No matter what you use after you get it clean get some welding splatter shield in a spray can and spray the muzzle of the barrel and the inside of the comp with the spray.

This makes it a LOT EASIER to clean the next time.

I also spray the front of the cylinder and forcing cone area on my revolvers B4 shooting them and it makes cleaning so much easier.

Any brand will work almost any place that sells welding supplies will have some form of anti splatter shield it is also called nozzle shield spray.

http://www.amazon.com/Firepower-FIR1440-0296-Anti-Spatter-Spray-oz/dp/B000TQ2RD8

alizard

Bearcat
Japle said:
I have one on my 22/45. I like the performance and the look, but the thing gets filled up with hard-as-a-rock carbon. Nothing I've found really dissolves the stuff. When I was an armorer, we used brake cleaner on M-60 gas tubes and pistons, but it doesn't touch the build-up in the comp.
The best so far is soaking in a good, thin penetrating oil followed by serious use of brass scrapers. Coating the guns muzzle with Molykote keeps it pretty clean, but it doesn't stay on the inside of the comp.

Anyone have a better way?

1) It may also have lead in it. If so, soak it in a 50-50 mix or hydrogen peroxide and vinegar then scrape it.

2) If it is flamed on carbon, no commercial cleaner removes it. I use a soak tank of Berryman/s Chemical Dip which does soften it and makes it easier to scrub off. Leave it in the soak for a week.

I use nylon brushes and chrome polish to scrub off hard carbon, works pretty well but you do have to scrub it.

BrassTacks

Bearcat
the HP and vinegar worked like a champ! I soaked the dirty end of the barrel for an hour and then brushed what little was left with a nylon brush. all gone!

this was after aprox 500 rounds

KAC-556F

Bearcat
Good information, I'll have to try the 50/50 mix on the FH for my AC, after shooting it with the .22lr conversion it is a complete mess of lead and carbon buildup.